Discussion Board

SendEventToWindowGroup delays event delivery sometimes on Symbian 9.4

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with RWsSession::SendEventToWindowGroup function. I use it to deliver a custom events to a main application thread (i.e. GUI thread) for synchronization purposes.
    However sometimes it happens that an event is not processed by the application immediately, but gets delayed for some time. This happens only on Symbian 9.4 device (Nokia C6); the Symbian 9.3 device (Samsung I8510) always works fine.
    I suspect that the problem happens when I try to send an event from the main thread. That event does not get processed when control returns to the event loop, but remains inside the system event loop for some time and gets processed later (I'm not sure what exactly triggers the event to get processed).

Does anybody experience the same problem?
    Also, documentation says that SendEventToWindowGroup function is deprecated. Does anybody know the proposed alternative interface?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SendEventToWindowGroup delays event delivery sometimes on Symbian 9.4

you could maybe check what kind of loop you have, is it blocking ? aor did you do it with active objects. For alternative, I think RProperty would work better.

Re: SendEventToWindowGroup delays event delivery sometimes on Symbian 9.4

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    you could maybe check what kind of loop you have, is it blocking ? aor did you do it with active objects. For alternative, I think RProperty would work better.
    Dear symbianyucca, I mean the window server system loop.
    I.e. one thread creates RWsSession, connects to it and sends TWsEvent using SendEventToWindowGroup() function to the root application's window (CEikonEnv::Static()->RootWin().Identifier()). Then the event is expected to be delivered to the AppUi::HandleApplicationSpecificEventL() handler. On the 9.3 device it happens always immediately. However on the 9.4 device the event is sometimes not processed immediately, but kept by the system for some time and delivered later.

As for RProperty, I don't think it's a complete alternative to an event queue. For example, how to process the situation when two threads want to send an event simulatenously? Or do you mean that I need to implement my own event queue and use RProperties just for synchronization?