Discussion Board

newbie: confusing multiple sdk - want to create java apps on N8

Hi

I only know Java. What exactly do i need to create java apps on the Nokia N8? I have Eclipse Helios + a download of 0.9_2 Symbian^3. Why do i need activestate perl?

There's no basic beginners guides. Even the HelloWorld doesn't work (couldn't find the icon in Apps on the emulator). Am I supposed to use the emulator or the Ovi Suite or my own phone?? Does Eclipse have a "built in" emulator?

Can't find any Dummies guides either. Stuck. Please help!

cheers

Super Contributor

Re: newbie: confusing multiple sdk - want to create java apps on N8

You don't need a Nokia SDK, since Java ME is a cross platform system.

I'd suggest you uninstall Eclipse and the Symbian SDK, and install the Java ME SDK 3.0 and then Eclipse Pulsar. Pulsar includes the Mobile Tools for Java, and will help you with mobile development.

It's well worth following the "Library" link at the top of this page... there is a HUGE amount of documentation, from beginner level to advanced.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    You don't need a Nokia SDK, since Java ME is a cross platform system.

I'd suggest you uninstall Eclipse and the Symbian SDK, and install the Java ME SDK 3.0 and then Eclipse Pulsar. Pulsar includes the Mobile Tools for Java, and will help you with mobile development.

It's well worth following the "Library" link at the top of this page... there is a HUGE amount of documentation, from beginner level to advanced.

Graham.
    thanks. So for example on here (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ar_and_Eclipse) they say they're using 'S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 v1.1 SDK'. So you're saying I don't need that to follow their example ??? My goal here is (for learning purposes) to be able to create an app on the N8 which allows me to sync files over the wireless on my intranet only. There may be apps which already do that, but i want to do that using Java ME.

thanks

Super Contributor

No, you can use any SDK.

The need for perl is connected with the way the SDK works... it's more complicated than most Java ME SDKs, since the S60 SDKs also support C++ development.

If you want to use the S60 SDK, you will need tell the Eclipse Mobile Tools for Java (MTJ, which will install for you automatically if you install Pulsar) to use that SDK. Check the Pulsar documentation for how to do this.

One thing to be aware of concerning your project... whenever a Java application access the file system or network, the user will be presented with a security prompt, warning them about what the app is attempting to access, and asking for permission. These cannot be switched off programmatically.

Also, you may find that you are restricted in terms of what files you can access. I think you cannot access files from the root of a file system on Symbian, for example.

Graham.

No, you can use any SDK.

The need for perl is connected with the way the SDK works... it's more complicated than most Java ME SDKs, since the S60 SDKs also support C++ development.

If you want to use the S60 SDK, you will need tell the Eclipse Mobile Tools for Java (MTJ, which will install for you automatically if you install Pulsar) to use that SDK. Check the Pulsar documentation for how to do this.

One thing to be aware of concerning your project... whenever a Java application access the file system or network, the user will be presented with a security prompt, warning them about what the app is attempting to access, and asking for permission. These cannot be switched off programmatically.

Also, you may find that you are restricted in terms of what files you can access. I think you cannot access files from the root of a file system on Symbian, for example.

Graham.
    excellent, im making progress! something strange though: can't seen to find the Linux download for the SDK 3. only windows !?

Super Contributor

What makes you think there's a linux download?

lol, why wouldn't there be one. after all it's one of the os/platform that Nokia, Oracle and Sun use internally ? What's so Windows specific about the ME SDK?

Super Contributor

Nokia's Java and Symbian/S60 SDKs and tools have Windows dependencies (in particular, Nokia's device emulator/simulator, but also other build tools).

The Qt SDK/tools work also on/for Linux and Mac OSX, except if you want to develop Qt apps for Symbian, where some of the build tools still require Windows.

The Oracle Java ME tools require Windows or Mac OSX ( http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...39759.html#req ). You have to ask them why Oracle isn't supporting Linux. Oracles Java ME discussion forums: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/main.jspa?categoryID=84

Pulsar is also available for Linux: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/pac...pers/heliossr1

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gurpal2000 View Post
    lol, why wouldn't there be one.
    Without entering a "my OS is better than your OS" debate, the answer to your question is that Windows has 90% of the market share, and linux is a large additional cost for less than 1% of users.

For mobile development, I strongly recommend using Windows (preferably 32bit). You can end up using many specific tools, many of which are windows only (the BlackBerry developer tools are another example, in addition to the ones Petrib mentions). The one exception being iPhone development, for which (realistically) you need a Mac.

Graham.

Without entering a "my OS is better than your OS" debate, the answer to your question is that Windows has 90% of the market share, and linux is a large additional cost for less than 1% of users.

For mobile development, I strongly recommend using Windows (preferably 32bit). You can end up using many specific tools, many of which are windows only (the BlackBerry developer tools are another example, in addition to the ones Petrib mentions). The one exception being iPhone development, for which (realistically) you need a Mac.

Graham.
    Agreed. I'm using Windows in a VM anyway. All good.