Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question How to run J2me Application on windows mobile 6.1

Hi Everyone !!

Can anyone please tell me how do i run J2ME application on windows mobile 6.1. Actually i have created application in J2me (LWUIT) will it be supported on windows mobile..

Please provide me some link for the same...

Regards
    Rajan Verma
    Last edited by rajan701v; 2011-01-15 at 07:58.

Super Contributor

Re: How to run J2me Application on windows mobile 6.1

Most Windows Mobile device have a Java runtime pre-installed by the manufacturer. Since there is no standard for WinMo, the Java support will be different on different handsets. Look in the Programs menu, under "J".

If your handset doesn't have Java support, then you can install it, though I'm not sure if there is a free option for this.

If I remember right, LWUIT doesn't work properly on at least one of the WinMo Java implementations. Search the forum for other posts on this.

Graham.

Super Contributor

It depends on the device manufacturer (or whether for that device there is a user-installable J2ME implementation).

In other words, Microsoft does not support Java with Windows Mobile/CE (or Windows Phone 7) at all, so it is not an automatic feature on Windows based phones.

A device manufaturer may (except for Winows Phone 7) have included their own J2ME implementation (or one they have licensed from someone else), but they're not obliged to do so, which means it might not be there.

If there is no built-in J2ME support, there may exist user-installable J2ME implementations, that must first be installed, before J2ME apps can run. However, I suspect that such do not exist.

Other than that, you need to rewrite (port) the entire app to Windows Mobile using tools and programming languages supported for Windows Mobile.

You might wish to search the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-US/categories

Regular Contributor

Thankx for the reply...
    But i have installed J2ME application on windows mobile... and it is running.. on windows mobile 6.1. But it is not able to find the IMEI, since i have used System.getProperty("com.nokia.mid.imei") to find the IMEI of nokia mobile.. Now i don't know how to the same for windows mobile..

Also the application is giving NoClassDefFound Error when using webservice. Actually i used JSR-172 (Web service API). which generates stub classes in j2me.. I think windows mobile do not support stubs. Do i need some .dLL for using the same api in windows mobile.

And could u please tell me what is the use of PhoneME for windows mobile.. http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/1

Please reply..

Super Contributor

Ask the device manufacturer whether they support a manufacturer specific property to get the IMEI (like Nokia's "com.nokia.mid.imei"). We have no idea whose Windows Mobile device(s) you want your application to work on (as you haven't said anything about that), and whether those manufacturers support a mechanism for getting the IMEI in a MIDlet, or not (as it may be).

This is a Nokia developer discussion forum, and even if you use J2ME for Windows Mobile, this is not the right place to discuss it. Go to Microsoft's MSDN (in case there are people there that happen to know, as Microsoft will not care about J2ME stuff), or the device manfucturer (HTC, Samsung or whomever) who makes/made the Windows Mobile based device models you're interested in (or if you find out whose J2ME implementation the device manufacturer uses, ask them).