Discussion Board

Widget / APIBridge QA issues

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues trying to pass the QA process for WGZ widgets using the APIBridge?

We've had an app fail, after waiting almost a month in the QA process, because the Widget Launcher file (required by OVI store because of a bug with the actual store itself not being able to execute these apps http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ov...a-small-repair) wasn't signed even though I had indicated that the app was to be Expressed Signed. Both sis files packaged use the assigned UID provided by OVI/Nokia.

The most frustrating issue is that I had sent an email to PublishToOvi.Support@nokia.com to clairify if I had packaged the app correctly and they had replied back stating that all was good and to submit the app however the comments from the QA process seem to contradict the advise given in the email!

>> QA Comments

By Connie (VC-Sign)

SIGNING FAILED
    SUMMARY: Submitted content contains embedded sis files that are not Symbian Signed.

ACTUAL RESULT: Submitted content contains embedded sis files that are not Symbian Signed.

EXPECTED RESULT: All embedded sis files should be Symbian Signed.

CORRECTIVE ACTION: Please submit your unsigned content so that it does not have embedded sis or resubmit your content with all embedded sis files signed by Symbian Foundation.

Should you have any questions, please contact the Ovi Publish Support team at publishtoovi.support@nokia.com

>> Original Email sent

Sorry for causing your frustration. The .sis file you have attached is packaged correctly. Please submit this to Ovi Publish and specify 0x20035ddc in the AppUID field. We will update the instructions to make them as clear as possible.

Best regards,
    OviKevin

----------
    Hi,

In regards to steps 3 and 4 in the Widget_Launcher.pdf instructions:

I presume I need to add the signed widget launcher sis file into the widget installer package (it's not clear in the instructions)?

Both files are being Nokia express signed. So do I need to:

1) Submit the built widget launcher package sis file first to OVI store to be Nokia expressed signed then package the Nokia expressed signed launcher sis file with the widget installer package - build that package and submit the widget installer sis file to be Nokia expressed signed?

Or,

2) Do I add the non signed built widget launcher package sis file to the widget installer package, build the widget installer package and submit to Ovi store to be Nokia expressed signed? (The sis file attached is an example of this scenario).

This is all rather confusing and very frustrating!

Angry Re: Widget / APIBridge QA issues

I've detailed my OVI QA ordeal below (3 months and still counting) ... Everytime I get a response back I feel like banging my head against the wall.

- Mid November 2010: Submit our app for QA - QA fail the app because no target devices had been specified. I emailed back with a screenshot to prove that this field had been set. An apology email is sent back and the app is put back into the QA process.

- Early December 2010: Wait another few weeks and the app eventually goes into limbo and fails QA because there's an upgrade to OVI store and all apps still in QA need to update their submission with a couple of new meta data fields. Fill in the new fields and submit the app again to QA.

- Late December 2010: Wait another few weeks and eventually QA fail the app again because there's a bug with OVI store not being able to launch Widget apps packaged with the APIBridge - the app works perfectly fine when installed directly to the device. QA send a link with instructions on how to package an embedded Widget Launcher app. I follow the instructions and email back to confirm that the app has been packaged correctly. Get a corresponding email to confirm that the app has been packaged correctly for Express Signing and that I should submit the new version to QA.

- Mid January 2011: Wait another few weeks and eventually QA fail the app yet again because the embedded SIS file (Widget Launcher) hasn't been Symbian Signed. OM(F)G I'd just been through this whole process perviously to confirm that the app had been packaged correctly. I'd specified that the app was to be Express Signed and used the assigned UIDs provided - hence the embedded SIS file cannot be Symbian Signed. Send an email to PublishToOVI.Support and get a response back after a week stating that they will follow up.

In the midst of all this I've recieved 5 emails asking publishers to complete a survey about your experience with the Ovi Publish web interface and process!

Angry Re: Widget / APIBridge QA issues

All I can say is if OVI / publishers can't implement this type of architecture (embedded SIS to be Expressed Signed) why mention it in the instructions (it's the only method described) and why was I told that the app was packaged correctly?

Come on OVI pick up your game and fix the instructions (how am I to combine the main app and the launcher together when it's not mentioned anywhere and no example provided) or better still fix the OVI Store Client itself as the issue is actually caused by that not our app!

No wonder developers are bypassing Nokia and concerntrating on developing for other platforms ...

-- Email sent back from PublishToOvi.Support (19/01/11) --

I have received the following information back for our QA team.

For the XXX_20035DDC.sis, there is a XXX_Launcher.sis wrapped inside.
    This launcher .sis file is what the error referring to. To meet our current signing requirement, the publisher cannot implement this kind of architecture.
    They should combine the main app and the launcher together, that is, in one sis file, so that they can use our free signing service.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Best Regards,
    OviKaren
    Ovi Store Publisher Support
    http://publish.ovi.com/

Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotio.ovi.com/omt
    Ovi Publish Checklist
    http://info.publish.ovi.com/

Re: Widget / APIBridge QA issues

The response from OVI Support (I'd already brought up the fact that I was given conflicting information why am I going around in circles and waiting ages for a valid response).

>>

My apologies for the conflicting information. Let me take this back to the QA Team for further clarification. I will be in touch with you as soon as I have any new information.

Thank you for your patience.

OviKaren
    Ovi Store Publisher Support
    http://publish.ovi.com/

Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotio.ovi.com/omt
    Ovi Publish Checklist
    http://info.publish.ovi.com/

Super Contributor

Re: Widget / APIBridge QA issues

Do you have a publisher ID? My experience is that the 20$ are sometimes well spent.

But a different trick: try to rename the file to SmartInstaller.sis or send them the installer sis per email to get them to sign it, and then bundle the signed.

Keep one thing in mind: Nokia's QA team is NOT EVIL. They are NOT CODERS. Sometimes, you must break down a task so that they can process it.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog