Discussion Board

Question localization strategy

hi, i'm writing an appl that i'm planning to sell on OVI and i would like to enable it in english and spanish .
    i was wondering whether i should provide a single midlet suite containing both languages strings or
    should i create a separate midlet suite for each language.

(in other words, in the first case there is only one suite. when the user runs it s/he selects the languages (and can switch between languages at any time), and in the
    2nd case there is a suite that supports english and another that supports spanish and the user needs to decide on the language before downloading it and once downloaded it only operates in that single language.)

what's is conventionally done? does the ovi store provide the means to publish several copies of the same appl, each with a different language?
    what happens if i publish it for english and spanish and later on decide to add support for a new language (e.g. French)?
    thanks
    rk

Super Contributor

Re: localization strategy

You might like to read this "how to" in the wiki.

I can tell you that Java Verified testing is cheaper if you put multiple languages in one JAR, because separate JARs get full testing each, whereas a combined, multilingual JAR gets only one full test pass (plus some additional language testing). Ovi submission does not require you to go through JV testing, but the testing they do internally is based on the JV process, so it is possible that a multilingual JAR might get through testing faster. But I don't really know what Nokia's internal process is.

So far as I know, you specify which region each JAR can be sold in. So you can distribute one or many. You can check this over at the Ovi discussion board.

Most game publishers prefer to deliver multilingual JARs, because the certification costs are lower.

On Nokia devices, you can use;

Code:
    System.getProperty("microedition.locale")
    to determine the language of the device. You cannot guarantee this will be useful on some other manufacturers' devices.

If you add another language later, then either you distribute a separate JAR, or you have to update your existing JAR. If you can, release languages in groups, say English, French, Spanish, German as one, then Czech, Hungarian, Romanian as another, for example.

Hope that helps a little...

Graham.