Discussion Board

Getting keypad events in JavaScript

Hi,

I am trying to build a simple web game for Nokia mobiles where the user can click on "2", "4", "6" and "8" to move an object on the screen. In the web page I defined the onkeydown event handler and I am receiving the event but the keyCode and charCode and all the properties where I can get information about what the user clicked on is set to 0. I am using the emulator that comes with the S40 SDK. Can u please help?

Thanks,
    Ahmed

Re: Getting keypad events in JavaScript

I can't help but can add that I am having key event issues as well. In my case, I'm using the s60 and want to capture key events while focused in a text field.The results I'm getting appear to be almost random. I think what is happening is that the first key's events aren't triggered until the second key is pressed. Even then, I too can't seem to get accurate keycodes.

Is there perhaps documentation specific to dealing with javascript key events on devices using the numeric keypad for input?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Getting keypad events in JavaScript

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed_aa@hotmail.com View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to build a simple web game for Nokia mobiles where the user can click on "2", "4", "6" and "8" to move an object on the screen. In the web page I defined the onkeydown event handler and I am receiving the event but the keyCode and charCode and all the properties where I can get information about what the user clicked on is set to 0. I am using the emulator that comes with the S40 SDK. Can u please help?

Thanks,
    Ahmed
    Hi Ahmed,

You are on the right track, but unfortunately it seems that you cannot get the key codes by using the Series 40 web browser.
    If you wish you can try to run the test on http://www.quirksmode.org/js/keys.html (it is at the very bottom of the page)

Could you consider doing the game as Symbian WRT widget? Then you can use Remote Device Access to test your app, if you don't have access to real device.

Br,
    Ilkka