Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Update from Symbian C++ App to Qt App

Hi guys
    We have developped a new Qt app to replace our symbian c++ app. As you have to submit Qt apps under a different Content item like symbian c++ apps, how can we make the new Qt app as an update for the old symbian c++ app? I mean that it looks to the user that the Qt app is the update to the old app.

Cheers, Luki

Re: Update from Symbian C++ App to Qt App

Quote Originally Posted by lukiluuk View Post
    Hi guys
    We have developped a new Qt app to replace our symbian c++ app. As you have to submit Qt apps under a different Content item like symbian c++ apps, how can we make the new Qt app as an update for the old symbian c++ app? I mean that it looks to the user that the Qt app is the update to the old app.

Cheers, Luki
    This is just a guess, since I haven't done it, but I think using the same AppUID would do the trick. However, I'm not sure about this.

Cheers
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lukiluuk View Post
    Hi guys
    This is just a guess, since I haven't done it, but I think using the same AppUID would do the trick. However, I'm not sure about this.

Cheers
    Hmm...can someone verify this?

Regular Contributor

...Nobody?

Same UID is my guess too. But since you can't have two separate apps with the same UID in OVI Store, you have to ask from support if you can edit this old symbian c++ app so that you replace the old file with new Qt app with the same UID. Prior this I would do some testing to make sure that it is doable. Install a old format test app on a phone and then try to "update" it with a QT app with same UID...

Regular Contributor

It could be nice to have one representative from Nokia (publisher-ovi-QA-responsible-forum expert ... you name it.. who is behind ovi store stuff), who at least can easily answer 50% of the topics in this forum.
    There is no more than one new topic per day is posted on this forum, +every nokia event/trainig has a big focus to ovi store and it (nokia) developers. WHY SILENCE ON THIS FORUM? It is very easy to spend 15 minutes per day and satisfy 20-50 new developer who is visiting this forum for same and same problems...

Regular Contributor

@jetrix: Hmm...good point, to ask support to replace the symbian app with the new Qt app in the same Content Item. I already wrote ovi support about this issue, but no answer since a week, as usual.
    But I don't understand exactly what you mean by "Install a old format test app on a phone and then try to "update" it with a QT app with same UID...". How can I "update" the app, if the new one is not in ovi store?

I meant that in you do the testing in your testing environment, just to see how a phone reacts to different situations ie. "same UID - different app name" or "same UID - same app name". In other words try to install this new SIS with same UID in your phone... If that for some reson fails, so would the update from Ovi store...

Regular Contributor

Ah okay. Got it. Will try. Thanks