Discussion Board

Best approach for sending updates to your Qt for Symbian App?

I have an application to deploy to Symbian and I am using Qt. It is complete in its core functions and will work overall but there are still functionalities I want to put in that will take me a bit longer to apply. I want to deploy this application now but want to make it possible to send updates to the app in the future, for people who have already paid for the app. What methods are there in Qt to do this. I have been reading from the book Qt for Symbian and looking through Forum Nokia but haven't found anything concrete. Is there any way to do this?

Super Contributor

Re: Best approach for sending updates to your Qt for Symbian App?

Software updates are essentially platform specific question, while Qt is a cross-platform framework.

Right, so If I was thinking of deploying to S60, I'd have to refer to S60's way of providing software updates and there would be a different method for another platform like Symbian^3? I read this discussion (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...to-auto-update) but the method used there didn't seem to work out and there was a mention of a bug. And there was this one http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...te-application which does not seem recent (2007). Is there some sort of documentation that describes this process in detail?

Super Contributor

What happens in that auto-update thread is still not clear and requires additional investigations. It could be also a problem with their sis package. Somehow I do not believe this is a problem with Qt 4.7, however, have no means to verify.