Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Need some information on developing bluetooth application-Please help

Hello,

With respect to developing client-server bluetooth applications using obex protocol, i got many documents and links on the specifications, the profile information, interface and methods, etc. But, say for example, I have client code in j2me in mobile and server code implemented in plain java-pc side. Does the s60 5th edition supports both j2me and j2se? I mean, if i run j2se code, it says that it is not a midlet and so the emulator is not running.So, I am facing problems in structuring the application. How to work with the bluetooth application in Eclipse pulsar ide integrated with s60 5th edition sdk?

Do i have to integrate some other sdk's with s60 sdk for j2se implementation? Or any other bluetooth simulator must be integrated? Will all MIDlet, Client side codes, Server side codes work well with this environment setup or am i missing something for developing bluetooth application?

A lot of tools are available online. But i am not sure which of those are needed. It will be very helpful if someone gives me a clear idea about the tools required for creating bluetooth application ?

Thanks in advance!

Super Contributor

Re: Need some information on developing bluetooth application-Please help

S60 5th Edition devices support only J2SE (JSE), and so does the emulator in the SDK.

For developing Java applets for PCs:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply!

But can you please be a bit more specific of your reply?

Super Contributor

You have to use different SDKs for creating the phone apps (J2ME MIDlets) vs. PC apps (J2SE applets). I don't know if there's Bluetooth support for J2SE applets on every PC OS using every possible Bluetooth adapters (with their different drivers).

kalpspugaz, try to avoid to code a server part at all. If you send data objects, you might be able to re-use the already existing OBEX-Push or OBEX-FTP service of your computer. If you would describe your project in more detail, for a moment forget about technologies and standard, just the general use-case, we could be of much more help – and you would not have to ask the same questions so often.
    Last edited by traud; 2011-01-26 at 11:42.

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much, Petrib and Traud!

Well. I have a mobile application writen in J2ME. The application has three forms each with a textfield for the users to enter the data. And a summary form that collects all the entered data and save it as a text file. Every time, i run the application, it saves a text file in the memory card of my mobile.

Now, next part i need to do is to connect my mobile to pc and transfer this text file from mobile to pc and the information in the text file should get updated in the mysql database in appropriate rows and columns.

So, i guessed, that mobile (client) code should be in j2me and server code should be in j2se. And since this j2se needs a jsr-82 implementation jar library, i have downloaded Bluecove. So far i have done this. I would need to write plain code java and not applets, i guess?

For j2me, i wrote the apllication using Eclipse pulsar integrated with S60_5thEdition sdk. And for the next part ie., mobile to pc bluetooth connectivity, i am still looking for the correct tools.

If different sdk's should be used for j2me and j2se, then can you please suggest me the required tools?

On the computer part, you can use whatever you like, programming language, IDE – yes, theoretically (but no advise) you could even write J2ME there too. This has nothing to do with Nokia. You have problems with standard Java. There are zillions of books out there. Again, I would start with the BlueCove support. However, if you have not done Java on desktop yet, why not using the language you are using normally?

Super Contributor

Most important issue here is interoperability, we can implement freely anywhere but we have to honor the specification so application will work with different devices/computers.

Regular Contributor

Thank you so mush for your answers.