Discussion Board

On symbian s40 like Nokia 5300, how to sign my application?

All,

To avoid the user to grant network permission every startup time, I signed my application with verisign certification, the information goes into the jad file. But on some symbian s40 phones, like Nokia 5300, it doesn't support jad file at all.

How to sign application on these kind of phones?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Wei

Super Contributor

Re: On symbian s40 like Nokia 5300, how to sign my application?

First: Series 40 devices are not Symbian. Symbian devices are Series 60.

Second: yes, Series 40 devices (like all MIDP devices) support JAD files. The signing process is identical.

What makes you think that S40s don't support JADs?

Graham.

Re: On symbian s40 like Nokia 5300, how to sign my application?

You might face this issue. The solution is to go through the Ovi Store process without signing. Nokia will sign for you with Java Verified. If the Nokia Store is not your only sales channel, then consider to go for VeriSign because of Samsung.

Anyway, some common pitfalls while signing
    1. Date: Check whether date/time settings on your phone and computer are correct.
    2. SIM: Make sure there is a SIM card within the mobile phone.
    3. Installation: Use JAD and not JAR, otherwise your MIDlet is unsigned.
    4. JARsigner: Does not help in J2ME world, increases your JAR size, and can cause trouble.
    5. thawte (until Spring 2010): Make sure not to include MIDlet-Certificate-x-3.
    6. thawte (since CA 2010): Make sure not to include MIDlet-Certificate-x-4.
    7. VeriSign (until Spring 2010): Make sure not to include MIDlet-Certificate-x-3.
    8. VeriSign (since CA 2010): Make sure not to include MIDlet-Certificate-x-4.
    9. thawte or VeriSign: Make sure to include MIDlet-Certificate-x-2.
    10. Alternative Name: Make sure your certificate does not contain unnecessary fields for example an alternative name, marked as DNS with white-space content. You cannot edit your certificate yourself. Your certificate authority (CA; VeriSign or Thawte) has to revoke your certificate then.
    11. JAD edited: Make sure your JAD does not contain a Unicode-BOM, uses UNIX line endings (just LN) and there is a final empty line at the end.
    12. MIDlet-Permissions: Make sure they are correct or move to MIDlet-Permissions-Opt.
    13. Branding: Check whether your root (CA) certificate is present on your phone.
    14. (only if it does not work anywhere) JADsigner: Make sure to remove all other alias in your signing tool before you begin to sign your MIDlet.
    15. (only if it does not work anywhere) keytool: Make sure your Java keystore was RSA.

If none of those tricks helped, cross-check whether it is the fault of you or the phone, with the help of another signed MIDlet.
    Last edited by traud; 2012-02-07 at 14:12.