Discussion Board

What is up with QDesktopWidget::screenGeometry???!

I recently stumbled upon this bug in Qt 4.7.0: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-14058

A quote from that page:
    "QApplication::desktop()->availableGeometry() will now report correct geometry if called AFTER the resize event has been handled"
    This is being said, as if it makes some kind of sense! Well, it doesn't! The screen geometry can't change, so there is no reason to wait 'till the resize event has been sent!

This also affects screenGeometry, it seems.

So what was wrong with the original Qt specification, which states that screenGeometry () "Returns the geometry of the screen with index screen. The default screen is used if screen is -1." (no conditions).

I can't understand these Nokia amateurs who seem to be breaking Qt bit by bit!

Any ideas or comments anyone?!
    Last edited by mikaellaine; 2011-01-26 at 13:02.

Super Contributor

Re: What is up with QDesktopWidget::screenGeometry???!

There is a possibility to workaround this issue with QWidget::frameGeometry().

Nokia Developer Expert

Note that QDesktopWidget has both screenGeometry (that matches the screensize) and availableGeometry that (direct quote from Qt SDK): "What is available will be subrect of screenGeometry() based on what the platform decides is available" (emphasis mine).
    In Symbian port of Qt, the availableGeometry has been connected to the CAknAppUi::ClientRect(). And as we know, the ClientRect() changes according to orientation.

What is lacking from Symbian version of QDekstopWidget is a proper multiscreen handling.

I don't see how your comment on availableGeometry has anything to do with this topic, but thanks anyway.

The problem is, that screenGeometry has now started to return "QRect(0,0 -1x-1)" instead of a valid screen geometry. This is clearly wrong, and contrary to the Qt specification, which does not specify any conditions. screenGeometry should always return a valid screen geometry.

Oh, and by the way, this did work in 4.6.x

Nokia Developer Expert

Your original post mentions twice availableGeometry() so I assumed that it is relevant. For example:
    "So what was wrong with the original Qt specification, which states that availableGeometry() "Returns the geometry of the screen with index screen. The default screen is used if screen is -1." (no conditions)."
    (which actually refers to QDesktopWidget::screenGeometry() API description http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/qdesktop...screenGeometry)

Sorry for making this assumption.

Oops, sorry Fuzzbender. Indeed I failed to talk about screenGeometry, as I meant to.

hiii nothing working

Hi Diggubhai. What I find I have to do between 4.6.x and 4.7.x is that instead of using screenGeometry immediately, I call it when my main widget receives the resizeEvent. Its really lame and I hope Nokia fixes this.

On the other hand, 4.7.x is to be taken as a tech preview anyway, and it can't be used for products...

Nokia Developer Expert

No problems, these things happen.

I tried to search the bug report database for the situation you mentioned, but I couldn't find one. Maybe my search-fu is just poor.
    I think I have seen the spurious resize event as well.
    Mikaellaine, could you report a bug about the thing, so it gets sorted out? To here: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/