Discussion Board

PLS HELP!-DEVELOPER ASKING ME TO PAY RENEWAL OF NOKIA CERTIFICATE

i bought a mobile application to a developer for my business. i am from the Philippines and the mobile application i bought is about selling load wallet to retailers. as a dealers of load wallet retailers can request it to this application through sms syntax. the confirmation of in selling loadwallet must conform with the application. now that the confirmation from the telco changed the application is now useless. before if there are changes the developer immediately work on the updates. for what ever reason the developer is now asking a price and the developer's reason is we must pay the renewal of the nokia certificate. the price was not part of the agreement. what we agreed before is one time pay.
    can anybody here clarify what is this nokia certificate? and what is the real price in renewing it?

please HELP!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: PLS HELP!-DEVELOPER ASKING ME TO PAY RENEWAL OF NOKIA CERTIFICATE

I have not heard of Nokia certificate as such. Anyway, if your application is Symbian application, and it requires Symbian Signing, then there is of course Publicer ID that needs to be renewed yearly as well as each modification of an release version of the application would require Symbian signing that costs money as well.

But quite frankly, since your agreement is a one time pay, it sounds a little un-ethical on the part of the developer demanding you to support him through signing. He should have put that clause in the agreement itself. Anyway, you have to resolve it with the developer. Forum Nokia can hardly help you in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    But quite frankly, since your agreement is a one time pay, it sounds a little un-ethical on the part of the developer demanding you to support him through signing. He should have put that clause in the agreement itself. Anyway, you have to resolve it with the developer. Forum Nokia can hardly help you in this matter.
    I would like to see a developer that promises unlimited future updates with single payment.. . Basically we should here give technical problem solving, not legal or other non-technical advices, at least when not all possible required infomration on making such statements are available.

I agree Jukka that my solution was not technical. But since it was a general discussion, and the fact that information was available regarding one time payment agreement, hence my comment. ofcourse, I also did suggest that such clause in agreements are necessary to avoid such disputes. I should not have commented on behalf of FN, which I take back my word (I dont want to edit my post for reference)

Thanks for correcting me

sounds like a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by josem7399 View Post
    sounds like a scam.
    Sounds like you do not understand the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I have not heard of Nokia certificate as such. Anyway, if your application is Symbian application, and it requires Symbian Signing, then there is of course Publicer ID that needs to be renewed yearly as well as each modification of an release version of the application would require Symbian signing that costs money as well.
    ok. if the symbian application is renewed yearly my question is DO THE CUSTOMERS WHO BOUGHT THE APPLICATION INDIVIDUALLY PAYS FOR THIS RENEWAL? or just the developer paying the renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by josem7399 View Post
    sounds like a scam.
    WELL THE APPLICATION WORKS PERFECTLY. I THINK WE ARE JUST MISINFORMED

once you symbian sign the installation file. The signing is generally valid for 10 years. anyway, if you modify the instalallation file in any ways, you do need to resign it. Symbian signing requires publicer ID from Trust center and that particular thing is valid only for one year at the time.

Thus the issue is that if you need the developer to modify your application, they do need to resign it, which indeed will cost money for them.

Quote Originally Posted by cashablanca View Post
    ok. if the symbian application is renewed yearly my question is DO THE CUSTOMERS WHO BOUGHT THE APPLICATION INDIVIDUALLY PAYS FOR THIS RENEWAL? or just the developer paying the renewal?
    The relation between the customer, the developer and the application matters a lot. The Publisher ID is really required, but it is valid for an entire year, and a developer can use it for as many projects as he is working on.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    once you symbian sign the installation file. The signing is generally valid for 10 years. anyway, if you modify the instalallation file in any ways, you do need to resign it. Symbian signing requires publicer ID from Trust center and that particular thing is valid only for one year at the time.

Thus the issue is that if you need the developer to modify your application, they do need to resign it, which indeed will cost money for them.
    i understand that indeed it will cost money from the developer but we want to know how much is the cost so that each of us knows how much to pay not asking per client to pay the whole cost.

A "Publisher ID" is valid one year and its cost is 200€. In addition, the signing itself may cost at least 10€/signing (as high as 150€/signing if Certified Signed testing is needed). These are fixed costs, it does not matter how many customers you have.

If the application is distributed through the Ovi Store then you can pass this costs to Nokia and have the application signed for free (conditions and limitations apply).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite