Discussion Board

Nokia 5530 Xpress Music Bluetooth Profiles

Hi!
    I'm trying to figure out which Bluetooth profiles the Nokia 5530 Xpress Music supports. The product specification on the Nokia website only says A2DP & AVRCP*, but the Forum.Nokia website says A2DP, AVRCP, BIP, DIP, DUN, FTP, GAVDP, HFP, HID, HSP, OPP, PBAP, SAP.** Which should I consider to be right?

I want to send numerical data from a PIC microcontroller to a Bluetooth module serially. From there I want to send it via bluetooth to my Nokia phone. Could this be done using a bluetooth module that only supports A2DP and AVRCP? Or are those profiles specifically for use with audio streaming? Would I need to use an SPP profile instead? I need to know which profiles my phone supports so that I can purchase a compatible bluetooth module.

Thank you so much in advance! If you can help with any of the above questions, I'd really appreciate it.

*Reference: http://mea.nokia.com/find-products-e...specifications
    **Reference: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/5530_XpressMusic/

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia 5530 Xpress Music Bluetooth Profiles

Looks to me later one is correct. In first one they just probably did not mentioned :-)

There are some example in Forum Nokia wiki and in examples pages. You could take a look how to send data over serial profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Natique View Post
    Would I need to use an SPP profile instead? I need to know which profiles my phone supports so that I can purchase a compatible bluetooth module.
    No, because you will add that profile with your code. Furthermore, you have to buy several different Bluetooth modules, because some are very difficult to cope with. Therefore, start with that project on a Windows or UNIX machine, there add your profile and emulate your PIC. Then do the smartphone coding and get used to Bluetooth. Then you have enough knowledge to search out for a better module; and all you have to do is to tweak here and there.

Thanks for the tip Mahbub. I'm looking through the wiki now.

Traud could you recommend a bluetooth module? From what I researched online, it seems there's a few common ones that people tend to use, but I can't seem to find a good A2DP one. And thanks for the answer, I spent all day yesterday trying to figure it out.

You do not do and you will not do A2DP. I recommend to start with a basic book about Bluetooth. If you go for Java, please have a look at this. You are going to use a RFComm based service. Depending on your Bluetooth module you use your own private UUID or its SPP. Because you create the application which talks to your module, you do not have to bother about the existing services. You add one based on RFComm/SPP yourself. Because the APIs on the phone offer a SPP already, all you have to do is: 1) device search 2) service search 3) open connection 4) send your bytes or characters as expected by your remote device 5) finished.

You're awesome. Thank you! I am using Java, I'll get started reading the tutorials now. I assume all the steps are the same except for 4 when the phone is on the receiving end of the bytes, right?

If you go for Java, I recommend to start with the mentioned book. Especially if you want to support more than one mobile phone platform (Series 40 or S60 or …), you are going to debug a lot of limitations and bugs on your own. Furthermore, if your phone is the receiving site, consider to start the connection from the phone anyway. Because, if the Bluetooth module does the device and service search, you would have to find a module, which allows the search for private (long) UUIDs and not just SPP. You know, a phone has several SPP service and your module might use the wrong service. Again: The mobile phone should do the service search. If you go for more than one model (like the Nokia 5330 XpresMusic) or more than one series (Symbian/S60), than start with the book instead of code examples.