Discussion Board

Using a N8 as a bluetooth mouse on PC

My apologies if something similar has been posted before...

From a technology stand point, it has to be possible to be able to use a mobile device as an input device (mouse) on a PC, correct?

Would this be possible with a Nokia N8?

Just was thinking about this today when my wireless mouse crapped out, and I sit here on my laptop with my N8 on my right where the wireless mouse used to be!

Thanks in advance!

-Bill

Super Contributor

Re: Using a N8 as a bluetooth mouse on PC

Electrically, yeah (assuming you'd, say, use the touch screen like a laptop touch pad, or something similar for input). But getting it done is a different matter. You've got to get the phone to "talk" like a mouse.

Interesting project - would make a good university research project for someone's dissertation.

You'd have to write your own Bluetooth HID profile on top of the existing stack. You don't need special capabilities or anything to do this - you could probably even do it in an app rather than as a plug-in to the bluetooth stack but I haven't looked at the details (I'm sure there was an app that supported A2DP before it was in the phones though).
    http://www.bluetooth.com/English/Tec...Pages/HID.aspx

You aren't limited to making the touchscreen a touch pad either, it could switch to become a keypad or full keyboard that you use remotely. Hmmm, it should even be possible for one phone to control another this way.

Like I mentioned in my post, I had assumed that 1) this was asked about many times in the past, and 2) that it has already been done.

Plesently surprised, and furthermore happy that a project like this could be considered as a Univeristy research project/dissertation. Very interesting stuff.

Asking the question as a consumer and not a developer, it would be good to find a developer in our community who could have an idea of tackling this.

Any thoughts?

-Bill

Super Contributor

At this stage in phone technology there are far more good ideas than there are competent developers. (And, alas, far too many of the competent developers are busy pursuing idiotic ideas.)

Plesently surprised, and furthermore happy that a project like this could be considered as a Univeristy research project/dissertation. Very interesting stuff.
    Just a final year project or a masters thesis you understand, not a PhD or anything.

I'd suggest you get in touch with Andreas Jakl in Forum Nokia as he used to be an associate professor at a University in the FN University programme - it's the sort of thing one of his students might have done, he's sure to have contacts. Alternatively, (ex?) FN Champion Paul Coulton is a lecturer in another FN affliated university whose students do this kind of cool stuff now and again.

I suggest Andreas first because his ex-colleagues are more likely to open source the result, whereas Paul has a more commercial mindset.

Regular Contributor

If you don't care if it is Bluetooh HID and just want it to control the mouse with phone then download this ? http://soft.mobile-master.org/?project=SmartTouch

Nice, and all written in Python too! Never seen that before.

Bluetooth HID's a little more generic but this is cool.

The Sony Ericsson phones used to have this feature years ago on their feature phones (w610, w700 etc...) and it was great. I don't know why this was not already done for Nokia phones

This is already implemented here but in Symbian C++.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ient_device%29

If you need it in Qt it is a trivial procedure to write a wrapper class to have a Qt interface.