Discussion Board

Qt Designer UI in Portrait Mode

Hi,

I've written an application in Qt Creator and made the UI in the Qt Designer based on landscape mode sceen proportions.
    Now I want portrait mode support.
    My design consists of a MainWindow and a tabWidget which contains several other widgets in its tabs.
    I placed my widgets in layouts. Therefore when I switch to portrait mode the height of my MainWindow gets resized to the new screen size,
    but the width is to large and the the app is being cut off at the right edge.
    How do I handle this best?
    Can I resize the width of my widgets to the screen width using MainWindow::resizeEvent?

Thanks for any hints.

frsc

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Qt Designer UI in Portrait Mode

If you are using layouts, the scaling can happen automagically. If not, you will have to either construct a new UI (portrait optimized) or make the resize and repositioning of the widgets manually when the orientation changes (i.e on resize).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Ok. I am using layouts.
    But why does only the height gets automatically resized when switching to portrait mode and the width stays to large?

Am I able to create a second *.ui file with the designer and assign it to the app when screen orientation is changed?

Super Contributor

It is a quirk of the UI layout stuff that the bottom-most widget on which you do your UI design must always be smaller (or at least no larger) in both dimensions than the screen area it will expand to when you do showMaximized or showFullScreen. So if you're targeting a device that's 640x360 then the widget used for the design must be no larger than 360x360 to begin with, if you wish to support rotation.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, there's no straight-forward way to do two different layouts (ie, landscape and portrait) for a given set of widgets. This is a deficiency of the UI design scheme.

Ok. Thanks for the answers.
    I got the problem now.