Discussion Board

Thread: Symbian Sign

Symbian Sign

Hi!

I am developing an application for my company which should use Location API in Symbian C++, I am developing with Carbide.c++ IDE. I have 2 questions.

1. Is it now reliable which I buy a Pulisher ID for my company?, for example for 1 year. and be sure for ever my applications signed with this Publisher ID can work?

2. Can I rely on this Publisher ID? I mean, Can I update this Publisher ID for example 5 years later? Is Symbian live?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Symbian Sign

Actualy the location capability is included in the self-signing capabilities since 3rd Ed FP2, thus you could also do self-signing.

1. the publicer ID is valid for one year, and it can be sued for signing within the validity period, and symbian signed application are usually having valid certificate 10 years from the signing date.

2. There are no information available that symbian would disappear, thus according to the information available, symbian will be living long time still.

Thanks very much to super high speed answer!!!

I developed my application, tested Self Sign and maked sis file. and finally uploaded to my old N95 phone, It said: Certificate Error. Is it maybe because of some libraries used in this project rather than Location API which should be publisher signed?

Thanks again.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks again.

but there IS 3 things that I should know.

first, why symbian.org is down?
    second, is about s60.com
    and last Where is source code of Symbian, because symbian.org weblog said the timeout finished in March 2010 for downloading source code of Symbian.

Thanks very much.

Nokia Developer Expert

s60.com has been closed for over a year now, symbian.org closed on december, the blog post should thuough indicate possibilities on getting the sources via FTP.

Anyway, for the original problem, just try checking the application manager's settings and see that all are allowed and online certificate check is off. Then check that you are using right range UID, and then do write the excat error message and descripe the behaviour while trying the installation.

Nokia Developer Moderator

You could also check http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...roubleshooting to match your exact error and see possible solutions to the same

Nokia Developer Moderator

Location capability is available for self-signing starting from S60 3rd FP2. The N95 is an FP1 device.

EDIT: Actually Jukka also said that in #2.