Discussion Board

Unhappy [moved] How do I use Ovi .crt & .key files to sign for Series 40 using Java keytool?

I have completed the Publisher Registration and have received the .crt, .key, and .sis files from Ovi. I have learnt that the .sis file is for Series 60 but I can't find anything regarding the .crt and .key files on this site in relation to S40.

I'm using maven for my build with the com.pyx4me j2me-maven-plugin.

<sign>true</sign>
    <keystore>C:\Documents and Settings\XPMUser\.keystore</keystore>
    <keystorepass>password</keystorepass>
    <keyalias>sjs-mycrm</keyalias>
    <keypass>password</keypass>

When I attempt to build and sign using maven, I get the following error: "Certificate chain sjs-mycrm not found in key store".

Yet, when I interrogate the keystore, I find the following:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\bin>keytool -list
    Enter keystore password:

Keystore type: JKS
    Keystore provider: SUN

Your keystore contains 1 entry

sjs-mycrm, 21-Jan-2011, trustedCertEntry,
    Certificate fingerprint (MD5): 3D:FD:FB:43:2D:EE:B4:80:8C:64:AB:27E:CB:06:A6

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: [moved] How do I use Ovi .crt & .key files to sign for Series 40 using Java keyto

Before integrating the certificate store into your IDE, have you tried the JAD signing tool of the Sun Wireless Toolkit? Just to make sure, at least manual signing works with this JKS at all. Do you know how to use that?

Re: [moved] How do I use Ovi .crt & .key files to sign for Series 40 using Java keyto

My development environment is comprised of Eclipse IDE with maven for building. I haven't used Sun WTK IDE (but I do use the WTK emulator from time to time).

AFAIK Ovi does not give you .crt & .key for Java (J2me)
    those files are for Symbian only.
    for J2me Ovi team sign your Jad for you.
    email to publishtoovi.support@nokia.com for further details.

Ovi was my first point of contact.

I sent this:

I'm initially developing for Series 40. I would like to run some tests in my devices in the trusted domain.

I have been searching the Nokia development forum all day to find out what do to do with the developer certificate and developer key you have provided but have found nothing. However, I have learnt that the developer certificate installer is for Series 60 (Symbian).

Can I use the developer certificate and developer key you have provided to sign my app and run it in the trusted domain of my S40 phones, and if so, how?

And received this 4 or 5 days later:

After we have supplied you with the Developer Certificate Key Pair,Developer Certificate Installer and Nokia assigned UIDs, please sign the application with the developer cert key pair and install cert installer into your device to perform the test.

Once testing is done, please upload the unsigned sis file in the Ovi Publish system https://publish.ovi.com/info/ with the UID that we assigned to you and we should be able to proceed from there.

The IMEIs that you have provided us are solely meant for your testing and development purposes. The developer certificate and installer provided are set to be compatible for those IMEIs.

Well clearly you can see the reply speaks of S60 and sis application
    you should write back to them and ask as a blank question you would like to be able to use the free java signing program for Ovi.

they were confused because you spoke of .cert and .key you downloaded for S60

The reply from Nokia does not mention S60 at all that I can see. The only references to S60 are in the email I sent, which was a reply to Ovi's email with an attached zip file containing [what I now understand to be] the S60 signing artifacts.

Given that it took them at least four days to reply with an answer that was no use at all, I decided to post the query on the forum.

Thanks for your input. I'll get back to Ovi to request some test certificates for S40.

Therefore, try with the Sun tools once. Just to double check. That tool is rather easy to use. If you get an error message there as well, something went wrong. Although a JKS is for Java, that is for sure. However, the answer from Nokia targets SIS files (S60).