Discussion Board

Can I install more than one project on a phone using the same developer certificate?

I have more than one project going on at the same time and want to demo all of them on a phone, but I can't seem to install more than one project at a time. Is there some limitation with the developer certificate that limits it to a single project per IMEI at a time? Do I have to install demo, uninstall demo, and install new demo to show someone multiple projects?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can I install more than one project on a phone using the same developer certifica

Quote Originally Posted by dhw4ski View Post
    I have more than one project going on at the same time and want to demo all of them on a phone, but I can't seem to install more than one project at a time. Is there some limitation with the developer certificate that limits it to a single project per IMEI at a time? Do I have to install demo, uninstall demo, and install new demo to show someone multiple projects?
    You can have many applications signed with the same developer certificate and be able to install them all on the same device.

Re: Can I install more than one project on a phone using the same developer certifica

I get an error when I try to install the second app. On my desktop, Ovi says "Something's gone wrong. There was a problem installing the file. Error code: 2148532241." I'm trying to install multiple Qt apps on an N8 phone.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The Ovi Suite has little to do with your problem, it simply sends your application to the phone and starts the installation there. You have to continue it by accepting some prompts and making some choices (like the disk you want to install it to). If the installation fails there will be an error note on phone's UI, then eventually the error will propagate as a strange error code to Ovi Suite. Look at the phone, take note of the error message (and eventually try to get a better one).

As for solving the error itself, you have to remember that a SIS is in fact an installation package (similar to MSI for Windows and deb or rpm for Linux). It is generated based on and containin a *.pkg script which in itself may contain errors. Therefore, once you find the error message, look at the *.pkg files generated by Qt and try to correct the problem. Reading the posts in Symbian Signed Support, Application Packaging and Distribution and Security will help and so will this wiki page.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2011-02-01 at 10:25.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Note that you can't install two apps with the same UID3.

Super Contributor

Stop fighting, folks! Please!

dhw: do you have solved your problem?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog