Discussion Board

5th edition application will not launch on 3rd edition devices

Hi masters,

I have built an application on 5th edition. It works file on 5th edition device. But when i will install the same app on 3rd edition device e.g. Nokia C5-00, it will not launch the app at all.

Please suggest me what could be the issue for this.

Thanks in advance,
    Datta

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 5th edition application will not launch on 3rd edition devices

you should compile the application with oldest platform SDK that you are planning to support. Thus try compiling it with 3rd ed FP2 SDK and see whether it works.

Also for crashes, you could see the panic code: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

Thanks for the reply Yucca.

My application is built for touch enabled devices, like it has setiings list. So can it have cross-enabled api's provided on 5th edition.

Does it solve the problem if i build it on 3rd edition sdk's?

Nokia Developer Moderator

In particular, settings lists exist for a long time. But it is true that you should use the SDK for the oldest device you want to support. It does not 'solve' issues, but it will quickly turn out if you are using API-s which simply do not exist on older devices.

Nokia Developer Champion

If you want to use Settings List on 3rd edition, then you can do so. In 5th edition SDK ( touch enabled), you handle the touch event but on 3rd edition (Non touchable devices) you will have to handle key events.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    In particular, settings lists exist for a long time. But it is true that you should use the SDK for the oldest device you want to support. It does not 'solve' issues, but it will quickly turn out if you are using API-s which simply do not exist on older devices.
    There are quite a few binary compatibility issues between 5th edition SDK and 3rd edition devices, even if new APIs for 5th edition are not used, and compilation with an older SDK fixes many of them.

One such case was where simply subclassing a setting list item class (don't remember excactly whcih) without adding any new code except constructor calling the base class constructor, caused application binary built on S60v5 SDK not to be able to start on S60 3.x devices. Binary built on S60 3.2 SDK ran fine everywhere. I remember comparing the imports between the two, and there was an extra import in the S60v5 binary, which wasn't exported for the DLL on S60v3 devices (checked the corresponding .lib on S60 3.2 SDK)

So, it really does make sense to make the "release" builds with an older SDK, even if you want to use S60v5 emulator for development. You don't need to worry about touch events, they work just fine when compiling with earlier SDKs too, and the S60v3 emulators (at least 3.2) even support touch events. And if the app can't be built on a certain SDK version, it probably won't run on devices with that S60 version either.

My QT based app which works fine with the 5th ed & S^3 but fails to launch in the 3rd Edition FP2. I removed all the symbian API calls, still the app doesnt launch. Is there any way to find the reason for it ? ErrRd.sis dint help too.

On launch the call doesnt even reach the app's main(). Anyway to debug why this happens...

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ravi_sarma View Post
    My QT based app which works fine with the 5th ed & S^3 but fails to launch in the 3rd Edition FP2. I removed all the symbian API calls, still the app doesnt launch. Is there any way to find the reason for it ? ErrRd.sis dint help too.

On launch the call doesnt even reach the app's main(). Anyway to debug why this happens...
    Are you using Q 4.7? S60 3rd Ed. FP2 is only supported with Qt 4.6.3, so you must build the app for Qt 4.6.3.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Are you using Q 4.7? S60 3rd Ed. FP2 is only supported with Qt 4.6.3, so you must build the app for Qt 4.6.3.
    I checked, am using Qt 4.6.3... Is there any Qt functions which might not be supported ? I read somewhere using QDateTime might fail in 3rd Ed.

And any idea how to debug the failure reason, since the main() isnt even called !!

Quote Originally Posted by ravi_sarma View Post
    I checked, am using Qt 4.6.3... Is there any Qt functions which might not be supported ? I read somewhere using QDateTime might fail in 3rd Ed.

And any idea how to debug the failure reason, since the main() isnt even called !!
    Hi,

Nokia Qt SDK for is (or at least was, when I last used it) based on S60 5.0 SDK, so it could be a binary compatibility issue between that SDK and S60 3.x devices as well. Without knowing any other details, I'd guess it's the infamous integer division bug:
    https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com//browse/QTSDK-170

There are several threads discussing this issue in this forum, search. If fixing integer division doesn't solve the problem, I'd simply start commenting out parts of the application until you can get the app started on the device, then adding the problematic part back and narrowing down the problem to a specific line of code, and checking if you can find another way to do what is does.