Discussion Board

General OS-related error

Hi!
    I try to debug my apps in my Nokia and i get this error:
    Impossible d'installer à partir du package C:\Data\Converter.sis sur l'appareil mobile : General OS-related error
    I need some help. I'm a beginner on Qt

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: General OS-related error

You should turn your device in english mode first, and then use the filemanager and click the C:\Data\Converter.sis on the device. That would start manual installation that would give you better idea on what is going on.,

Or try unchecking the "Silent installation" box from the symbian-build settings for the project.

Then the i nstallation process would give you better readable error note.

I have also struggled with this lately. I have found out that the sis package does install ok but the app can't be launched remotely. The same problem is also when you try to launch the app with runonphone. The app works ok when you start it manually by clicking the app icon on the device. (Trk is of course running in the device.)

Capabilities might have something to do with this. Just a normal HelloWorld with self-signing works, but if I add more capabilities and sign with R&D cert then I get this same error message.

I'm very interested in hearing the root cause why some apps can be launched remotely and some can't.

Environment: Nokia Qt SDK 1.1 TP with latest updates installed. Qt 4.7.1 and Qt Mobility 1.1 installed to N8, both bundled with Nokia SDK.
    Last edited by jvuori; 2011-02-03 at 18:24. Reason: Added description of the used environment

Hi please i have the same error, did u find the solution ?
    I'm stucked

Nokia Developer Champion

just try removing the tick on silent installation under your projects and build settings. Otherwise simply try to install the sis without Qt Creator you will see some more relevant information.

Quote Originally Posted by nokinok View Post
    Hi please i have the same error, did u find the solution ?
    I'm stucked
    I didn't eventually find a solution for this and for me this is not an issue any more. But what I remember is that the problem was not the installation but launching the application remotely. As I mentioned the application is installed correctly but it can only be launched manually. Capabilities and signing has something to do with this. Sorry, I can't help you more with this.

Quote Originally Posted by manouboy View Post
    Hi!
    I try to debug my apps in my Nokia and i get this error:
    Impossible d'installer à partir du package C:\Data\Converter.sis sur l'appareil mobile : General OS-related error
    I need some help. I'm a beginner on Qt
    That is happening when you are trying to add a self-singed (mostly, as is the default SDK option) sis file to the device but you have added capabilities that do not allowed to self-signed files!

Check out that http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ymbian_Signed) and the capabilities you have
    Only User Capabilities are self-signed:
    LocalServices Location NetworkServices ReadUserData UserEnvironment WriteUserData

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mando7stam View Post
    That is happening when you are trying to add a self-singed (mostly, as is the default SDK option) sis file to the device but you have added capabilities that do not allowed to self-signed files!

Check out that http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ymbian_Signed) and the capabilities you have
    Only User Capabilities are self-signed:
    LocalServices Location NetworkServices ReadUserData UserEnvironment WriteUserData
    That reasoning covers only one possible problem, others such as case with jvuori here are different. Since the installation works, but the launching does not, then it means that the certificate used did cover the capabilities. The behavior of experiencing the application not launching, most probable actually means that it is indeed launching, but does crash on start-up, and to see what happens there, getting the panic code for the crash usually helps a bit, thus do check the panic code: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ded_panic_code