Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to get rid of those installation issue "reviews"?

I was wondering if anyone knows of good way to get rid of these one star reviews from people who complain that they could not install the app? I filled in the "Report Issues" for this, but there seems to be no reaction. If only the end users had a way to contact us developers then maybe these annoying "reviews" wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Cheers
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: How to get rid of those installation issue "reviews"?

There is unfortunately no way to remove those types of reviews. Only reviews containing vulgarities, such as foul language will be removed.

One thing you could do is add your own review, which would give customers a means of contacting you for support.

Hope this helps.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by NokiAustin View Post
    There is unfortunately no way to remove those types of reviews. Only reviews containing vulgarities, such as foul language will be removed.

One thing you could do is add your own review, which would give customers a means of contacting you for support.

Hope this helps.

Austin
    Thanks, but adding my own review of my own app would feel a bit like cheating and, in my opinion, it would devalue the rest of the positive reviews. While having contacts for support would be great, I think that Nokia should put them automatically, after all support website and email address are mandatory fields when submitting an app to Ovi Store and it is quite puzzling why these are not visible to the end user, as I pointed out in my blog about Ovi Store. Oh well, I do hope this issue will be dealt with in some future, but not too distant, update of Ovi Store.

Cheers

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by NokiAustin View Post

Hope this helps.

Austin
    I have done this and it does not work because customers do not see/read it or are to lazy to copy the email address to their mailing program.

Regular Contributor

I think it is starting to become really annoying that we as developers/publisher have no way of supporting the customers directly that have problems installing or downloading the app they paid for.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by henrikweide View Post
    I think it is starting to become really annoying that we as developers/publisher have no way of supporting the customers directly that have problems installing or downloading the app they paid for.
    +1. I second that.

Sorry to be an ass, but Nokia, why not look at what Samsung does?

There, Mr. User asks a question. It then gets routed in the backend to the developer, who answers it right on the backend. If he does not answer it fast enough, the user gets refunded.

Wouldn't that be an option we can live with?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

This raises some questions.. The fact that every app and game is tested by developer and by Nokia's QA assures that the app/game works on 90-something % of the devices it is downloaded to. So why does it not install or start on some of the devices? Now, imagine that you develop a few semi-hits that, when put together, sells thousands. Because there is no definite answers to those problems, what are you going to reply to those few hudreds mails asking "Why doesn't this peace of "#¤ start on my phone"?. If you try personally help everybody It would take to much time mailing back and forth about the problem. And sending a list of "todo's" would make the user even angrier. In no time you would have to hire a fulltime support guy/gal. Then again, if you sell thousands you could probably afford to do so

Even though Nokia has done incredible job with the QT enabling us to write apps/games to many different devices even different platforms, the fact that phones are so verstile and can run hudreds of different apps and even simultaniously makes it impossible to write an app/game that runs in flawlessly in every situation. I think that many of the "doesn't work" guys understands that it could be the 2kb free memory, one of those 8 resident apps running on the backgroung, the fact that has not booted the phone for 6 months or downloaded any of the upgrades etc. that is contributing to the problem. But some of the users tends to rant the second the app/game doesn't start, when simple booting of the device would help...

BTW, Isn't it required to have a support mail in the about dialog of every app/game? Atleast I have it there and have not yet received any mails.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jetrix74 View Post
    This raises some questions.. The fact that every app and game is tested by developer and by Nokia's QA assures that the app/game works on 90-something % of the devices it is downloaded to. So why does it not install or start on some of the devices? Now, imagine that you develop a few semi-hits that, when put together, sells thousands. Because there is no definite answers to those problems, what are you going to reply to those few hudreds mails asking "Why doesn't this peace of "#¤ start on my phone"?. If you try personally help everybody It would take to much time mailing back and forth about the problem. And sending a list of "todo's" would make the user even angrier. In no time you would have to hire a fulltime support guy/gal. Then again, if you sell thousands you could probably afford to do so
    "From time to time" I get emails from customers who have installation problems; and we could solve each problem. Usually it suffices to redownload the application with the Ovi client. In very few cases a reboot fixes the problem. And in very very few cases I have to send the installation file directly to the user to manually install the application.

And, have you never encountered a situation where you could not install an application? For me this happens sometimes and the origins are manifold and usually you cannot blame Ovi or Symbian therefore.

Nokia Developer Expert

HI

Please email publishtoovi.support@nokia.com with subject: installation issues of app on ovi store. Do provide the app name and why the comment should be removed

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by OviStewey View Post
    HI

Please email publishtoovi.support@nokia.com with subject: installation issues of app on ovi store. Do provide the app name and why the comment should be removed

Thank you
    I send you a email
    I hope you will remove all issues regards download problems.

You didn't fix it with latest ovi store client
    sorry ovi store staff, go to h.. with WRT app.
    You can't solve download problem with WRT application. WRT application is not able to resume download stuff, at least as I know
    Move to better technology with full HTTP client control!
    Or evan better move to some different communication protocol (p2p)
    We are out of IPv4 address but we are not out of communication protocols

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by OviStewey View Post
    HI

Thank you
    Hi OviStewey,
    All games and apps have such comments, does that mean that every publisher has to be emailing OVI support in order to have them removed? I think it's a bit unfair because I don't think OVI support can handle so many requests, if one gets help on that then all publishers should, really an automated solution would be best.

For some popular games/apps, you may see a substantial proportion of such comments (download or install problem related, 1 star), but there are many other reviews to compensate; for some less popular games/apps though you may have 4 comments and three of them of this kind, can be very dammageable.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanAge View Post
    Hi OviStewey,
    All games and apps have such comments, does that mean that every publisher has to be emailing OVI support in order to have them removed? I think it's a bit unfair because I don't think OVI support can handle so many requests, if one gets help on that then all publishers should, really an automated solution would be best.

For some popular games/apps, you may see a substantial proportion of such comments (download or install problem related, 1 star), but there are many other reviews to compensate; for some less popular games/apps though you may have 4 comments and three of them of this kind, can be very dammageable.
    Just my opinion.
    I fully agree with this. An automatic solution would be best. If this for some reason is not possible then why not have an "installation issue" option available in "Report issue"? And once someone from Nokia checks that it is indeed an installation issue and, thus, has nothing to do with the app itself, this "review" would be removed. Better yet, after removing it, this user would be contacted by Nokia support to try to help out and/or he would be referred to the developer/publisher of the app for support!

In the mean time, I suggest that let us simply flood publishtoovi.support@nokia.com witth our request to remove these kind of reviews. Perhaps someone over there will notice that this might not be the most effective way of handling these kind of issues.

BTW, installation issues are, in my experience, sometimes real. But at lest in my case it had to do with someone from Ovi messing the certificates. Now, while this was unfortunate, mistakes sometime happens and I do understand that.

What I am unhappy about, is the fact that this issue was resolved only after someone I know tried to install this app and contacted me directly and told me that installation didn't work. And the worst part is that only after I contacted Ovi support was this issue fixed! So for few weeks no one could install this app of mine and I had no idea! And it did sell in that time period too. Obviously, the users where unable to contact me directly, because our support email/website is not passed on by Nokia. Would it not be for this one user who knew me then I would probably still not know that there was this issue AND this issue, most likely, would still not be fixed.

Cheers

Super Contributor

sorry to hijack this thread, but I think that the flood of these reviews comes from a UI quirk.

Please see the other thread in this forum re the reason.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    sorry to hijack this thread, but I think that the flood of these reviews comes from a UI quirk.

Please see the other thread in this forum re the reason.
    This might be a silly question, but what thread you are referring at?

Cheers

Regular Contributor