Discussion Board

Applications with auto updates and Symbian Signed

I want to write a complex application, which is not going to be public. We are going to use Nokia devices only for industrial pruposes, our software will always be limited to a limited number of certain devices, which will all have the one purpose: running our software.

I want to implement an autoupdate mechanism; a second application, which is capable of downloading and executing a new version of the main application.
    Is this compatible with the symbian signing mechanism? Do i have to sign the main application everytime i deploy a new version of the software? The whole signing process is giving me a headache.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Applications with auto updates and Symbian Signed

The ideal approach also depends on the capabilities you need, and in a closed environment with a really limited number of devices you can actually use a simple developer certificate.

I forgot to mention i have a developer certificate.

Well what are the capabilities I need? http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...e_Applications says i need TCB for my Usecase.
    And if i see it correctly, i need to request a new certificate for each new IMEI I get. That seems to be a quite complicated approach to me. And even insufficient, regarding that a dev cert doesnt include the TCB Capability.

I meant the capabilities you need for your main application.
    You will not really get TCB for automated updates. Interactive installation requires no capabilities, silent installation of trusted software requires TrustedUI capability, and starting from Symbian^3, silent installation of self-signed software requires AllFiles capability in addition (for S60 platform, TrustedUI is enough). TCB would be required to directly over/write files in \sys folder, including \sys\bin
    And it is required for the updater application, which you write once.
    What really matters is the main app, since that is what you want to modify from time to time, which may or may not require signing it with a trusted certificate, depending on its capability requirements.

Uh, you are right. Both apps need different capabilities. I was confused here. As I said its giving me a headache.
    I'm not fully aware of the capabilities of my main app, but i think they will be all covered by a dev cert.

So if i see correctly: On an S60 FP1 with an application, that installs new software in the background without any(!) user feedback the highest capability i need is TrustedUI?

Yes. You will need the SW Installer Launcher API from the plug-in packs (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/SDK_API_Plug-in). If you check the example code, it has a single TrustedUI capability (strictly said it also has NetworkServices as I see, but that is not related directly to software installation, and your updater code will have it anyway, since it downloads the updated .sis file from the net, I assume).