Discussion Board

Also publish outside OVI

I have ovi publisher id but I want one simple free app to be downloadable also outside OVI Store.
    So I need symbian cert also.

What I have regiestered into symbiansigned and read that it costs 200 $ + 10$ per express signed uid.

Can I somehow reduce the costs?

Super Contributor

Re: Also publish outside OVI

There is no way to reduce the Symbian Signed signing costs, unless the CA (Thawte) whom you get the publisher ID from, lowers their price, or until Nokia takes over the signing and reduces the prices.

What capabilities does your app use? Perhaps self-signing is enough for it (that won't cost you anything, but there'll be an installation warning to the users installing your app).

Regular Contributor

I'd go for self-signing (which is free). Yes it displays a warning message on installation, but this is the norm for the user who is downloading outside OVI.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    the old contract allowed you to ask for a permission to distribute the app outside the Ovi.

Even though the passage is now gone, asking may not hurt. In fact, I am in the mood to ask myself for one app of mine...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi,
    the old contract allowed you to ask for a permission to distribute the app outside the Ovi.

Even though the passage is now gone, asking may not hurt. In fact, I am in the mood to ask myself for one app of mine...
    Hi,
    Do you mean that because your app was free signed by Nokia for OVI, you cannot distribute your own version of the same app outside OVI (with your own UID and Symbian Signed or self-signed)?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RomanAge View Post
    Hi,
    Do you mean that because your app was free signed by Nokia for OVI, you cannot distribute your own version of the same app outside OVI (with your own UID and Symbian Signed or self-signed)?
    WRONG. Big misconception.

By using Ovi signed, you do NOT grant Nokia ANY rights to ANYTHING escept the VERY B INARY they have signed. So you can sign it yourself, and then distribute it even via Samsung if they let you.

The statute of limitations in the contract are ONLY re the binary NOKIA signed.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by RomanAge View Post
    Hi,
    Dear RomanAge,

Please note that Nokia does not reserve any ownership rights over your application and you may distribute it outside of the Ovi Platform at your discretion; however, if you submit your application for the Nokia Application Signing solution, you will not be able to obtain the signed copy of your binary for external distribution. In order for you to distribute it in other channels, please approach Symbian Signed for the signing of your application.

I hope this helps. If you should have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact publishtoovi.support@nokia.com.

Best regards,
    OviAndrew
    Ovi Store Publisher Support
    http://publish.ovi.com/ [^]
    Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotions.ovi.com/omt [^]
    Ovi Publish Checklist
    http://info.publish.ovi.com/?cat=34

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by OviAndrew View Post
    Please note that Nokia does not reserve any ownership rights over your application and you may distribute it outside of the Ovi Platform at your discretion; however, if you submit your application for the Nokia Application Signing solution, you will not be able to obtain the signed copy of your binary for external distribution. In order for you to distribute it in other channels, please approach Symbian Signed for the signing of your application.
    OviAndrew, and Tamhanna, I suspected that, however I did not have confirmation. Now I have, thanks for your answer.
    Personnally I have only signed through SymbianSigned so far (I got my Symbian Publisher ID from before Nokia offered free signing), so I was not directly concerned, but interested to know nevertheless for the future.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    it was a pleasure to help.

I will use Nokia Signing for now for Ovi, but Symbian Signed for all other channels...
    My other blogs:

Regular Contributor

Hi, I'm new in publishing. Could you tell what is the procedure of signing app by the Symbian to sell app outside Ovi? Where should I submit my app and how much it cost? I used before OPENSigned on symbiansigned.com but it has IMEI restrictions so that is unuseable to sell app outside. Thank you for help.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by radeknati View Post
    Hi, I'm new in publishing. Could you tell what is the procedure of signing app by the Symbian to sell app outside Ovi? Where should I submit my app and how much it cost? I used before OPENSigned on symbiansigned.com but it has IMEI restrictions so that is unuseable to sell app outside. Thank you for help.
    You still go through Symbian Signed, until Nokia starts to run that service, too. Instead of Open Signed Online, get a Publisher ID and use Open Signed Offline, Express Signed or Certified Signed processes:
    https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page

Thank you all for your help.

Based on this info I think the warning messages are accepted.
    Still couple questions for the future:
    1. How long does it take for average for symbiansigned to sign the sis files ?
    2. Can I use the same uid for future versions also of the same application ? [ v 1.0, v 1.01, v 1.02...]
    3. How long is the cert valid? Nokia's developer cert seems to be valid only about 3 to 5 months.

Super Contributor

You can and definitely should use the same UID also for future versions of the same application.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by juhauta View Post
    Thank you all for your help.

Based on this info I think the warning messages are accepted.
    Still couple questions for the future:
    1. How long does it take for average for symbiansigned to sign the sis files ?
    3. How long is the cert valid? Nokia's developer cert seems to be valid only about 3 to 5 months.
    ad 1.) seconds to some minutes.
    ad 3.) The developer certificate is valid for one year. Symbiansigned signed files are valid more than 5 years.