Discussion Board

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Nokia Wtih Symbian or MeeGo

Quote Originally Posted by vladest View Post
    I think, according to this: http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1488004 we, as Qt/Symbian developers want some details about Qt and Symbian future
    I would also like to go with vladest, i would also like to know that would be the future of Sybmain and Qt. I mean secondary OS means which series will cover symbian.

Super Contributor

ofcourse , there will be future for symbian and QT devices as nokia still continous to support symbian.
    But primerely they will target win7 mobile phone as their primary choice.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Quote Originally Posted by mateen_maldar View Post
    ofcourse , there will be future for symbian and QT devices as nokia still continous to support symbian.
    But primerely they will target win7 mobile phone as their primary choice.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    what about port Qt for WP7?
    btw, Nokia's share lost 9% since morning. Hope at evening elop will be fired
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

Nokia Developer Moderator

Nokia Developer Champion

As per this news Nokia will cover two different types of devices
    1. smart devices and 2. mobile phones
    Now this smart devices will cover symbian os. I would like to know

1. Will Nokia release only 150 million more Symbian devices for here onwards and after that they will stop working on Symbian?
    2. Will this Symbian devices contain devices like N8?
    3. Which version of Symbian OS will be carried from here onwards?
    4. How soon we can get all the development tools for Nokia-Windows Phone 7, or the Windows Phone 7 SDK available in the market will be the SDk for Nokia-Windows Phone 7.
    5. We symbian developers are really worried.

Please suggest me.

Nokia Developer Champion

I went through this link http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/no...-to-developers and here is my own view on that, its nothing to related to anyone, its only my view on this Nokia's new strategy
    1. The decision taken by Stephen Elop, Nokia President and CEO, is right. But the time is wrong. Its too late for Nokia to take a decision like this.
    2. Already for the last 1 year developers are trying to get hand on experience on Qt for high-end devices. and now if the high-end devices is covered with wp7 then what will this qt developer will do?
    3. And if Nokia is concentrating wp7 as its primary device then obviously, they will try to capture the market with wp7 devices, and thus on symbian will not be highlighted. so where goes the symbian developers.
    4. Even I can say that wp7 can't save nokia at this point of time, were apple announce to launch iPhone-mini in this summer with only just $200.
    5. I am definitely sure that with this decision most of the symbian/Qt developers will think for a while to develop app for Nokia in future which have no definite future.

Even I am also scared now.

my imho is the following:
    the only way to keep loayal developer for Nokia is to port Qt to WP7 asap. otherwise, nokia have to find somewhere another 400000 developers, which is impossible, I think

Regular Contributor

It has been clearly announced that Qt will not be on Windows mobile platform. Qt is dead and so is meamo so it's best to learn Windows mobile.
    The Windows Phone Developer Tools includes the following

* Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone
    * Windows Phone Emulator Resources
    * Silverlight 4 Tools For Visual Studio
    * XNA Game Studio 4.0
    * Microsoft Expression Blend for Windows Phone

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Vista

* Windows® Vista® (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 – all editions except Starter Edition
    * Windows 7 (x86 and x64) – all editions except Starter Edition

* Installation requires 3 GB of free disk space on the system drive.
    * 2 GB RAM
    * Windows Phone Emulator requires a DirectX 10 capable graphics card with a WDDM 1.1 driver

The Windows Phone Developer Tools is compatible with the final version of Visual Studio 2010.
    Blog: http://nmamobiles.byethost2.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by rajan.mba View Post
    It has been clearly announced that Qt will not be on Windows mobile platform. Qt is dead and so is meamo so it's best to learn Windows mobile.
    The Windows Phone Developer Tools includes the following

* Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone
    * Windows Phone Emulator Resources
    * Silverlight 4 Tools For Visual Studio
    * XNA Game Studio 4.0
    * Microsoft Expression Blend for Windows Phone

Top of page
    System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Vista

* Windows® Vista® (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 – all editions except Starter Edition
    * Windows 7 (x86 and x64) – all editions except Starter Edition

* Installation requires 3 GB of free disk space on the system drive.
    * 2 GB RAM
    * Windows Phone Emulator requires a DirectX 10 capable graphics card with a WDDM 1.1 driver

The Windows Phone Developer Tools is compatible with the final version of Visual Studio 2010.
    this is just dev tools like QtCreator. You can create an Qt ap[plication using visual studio for desktop
    most important things are API, presented by WP7. is there some kind on libc and so on?

Nokia Developer Champion

Guys don't get panic. Nokia will surely find some way to encourage these developer other than Quick Competition. They will not definitely try to lose these developers.

Can anyone put some light to my post #35
    Last edited by somnathbanik; 2011-02-11 at 10:55. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by rajan.mba View Post
    Windows Mobile 7 doesn't really have that many users at the moment... Not sure if it ever will have... So Qt has no future, Nokia Windows mobile has no present, iPhone and Android has both... Seems to me that Nokia just made a huge marketing favor for Android.
    Last edited by Roose; 2011-02-11 at 11:37. Reason: typo

At least for me, one of the main reasons i used nokia devices was because i really liked Qt (and i still do and i am really glad i am working with it) and the ease of making C++ programs.

BUT since Qt won't be around on the high end device there is no reason for me to stick with nokia.

I am making this statement to say that, i am not going to follow nokia to its change to WP7. That's because i haven't blindly chosen nokia because of its name but because of what it provided for me. Ease of programming, the support, the very nice idea of cross-platform programming, the highly respected research behind Qt. Since those reasons don't exist any more (apart from support which is not by it self enough) then unfortunately this is the end.

The information from the press release that Symbian and Qt will still be around is not enough because they will continue to exist to cheaper device (at least that is what i understood). Only the mid/high-end devices can provide enough profit to the developers to make them spend their valuable time on them. This instantly means one more Qt...may be i am pessimistic but that's what it looks like for me.

Nokia Developer Champion

If Symbian is there for the 2012 only then what the symbian developers should do now. Cause to learn a new technology takes time.

Super Contributor

HI,
    its not that it will end in 2012. The owner of symbian will have to answer this.
    This Nokia has to answer, i dont have the exact answer for it for how long symbian ecosystem will exists ?

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    If Symbian is there for the 2012 only then what the symbian developers should do now. Cause to learn a new technology takes time.
    Might be Ron can update on this thread.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes we would request Ron to please give some focus on the Symbian life.
    I would also like to know where do we find all the information about WP7 development (Microsoft / Nokia forum).
    And also where we will get the tools for the development WP7 app for Nokia.

Guys wake up, let do it, its a change (Though Change Is Uncomfortable) . Lets do our part and Nokia will take care the rest. Lets make good apps for WP7 and we will see Nokia again on top.

Ron please guild the developers how can they start on this. Cause we want when the phone is in the market (after 6 months) we are ready with some good apps.
    Last edited by somnathbanik; 2011-02-11 at 13:21. Reason: added