Discussion Board

Memory usage (6131 SDK + Eclipse)

Hi, i'm currently using 6131 sdk as an eclipse 3.1.0 plugin to develop my j2me application. The test on the nokia emulator ends succesfully but when i deploy and run my application on the real 6131 device i get an OutOfMemory error (after repetitive calls to a specific function). Obviously my task now is to find the memory trap
    So i was wondering.. is there a way to monitor the run-time memory usage of the application while running it on the eclipse emulator (possibly showing the classes generation tree with the relative memory size) in order to find the unallocated object that causes the error? Maybe an eclipse plugin compatible with my developing enviroment versions?
    Thanks

Re: Memory usage (6131 SDK + Eclipse)

Hello Marco,

I know it is not the same model as yours, but you should try the Nokia 6212 SDK:
    downloadable here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...2_NFC_SDK.html

This SDK allows you to monitor the memory usage.

Inside of the unpacked archive you can find documentation about instalation issues (also for Eclipse IDE).

HTH !!

Regards,
    Alfonso

Don't know if it's of any help but you still have the Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() and Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() to monitor memory usage

Cheers

Hi Alfonso... actually i'd rather go on with my environment configuration, since i've other plugins installed on it that i need (it took my a lot to find a working compatibility configuration :P). But for sure i'll take into account your suggestion as a further, final, solution. Thanks for answering. @Dubb: printing the memory allocation could be useful but i should fullfil the application of debugging code and maybe i would still have no idea of which object i'm not deallocating correctly!
    Looking on the web i've found a bunch of interesting memory heap analyzer, that provide charts and object-diagrams which sound pretty like what i was looking for (such as MAT project)! The problem now changes in: how can i get a heap dump (a memory snapshot) of my Midlet when running it on the 6131 emulator? Do you have any idea?

regards