Discussion Board

C3-00 invalid application issue

I've read through many posts about "invalid application" issues and tried suggestions but still can't get my signed app to install on our C3-00. We just got a new VErisign code signing certificate and I'm signing it using netbeans (Actually I've reverted to using the basic hello world app that netbeans builds by default). If I don't sign it then I can deploy it and it works fine on the device. Whevever I sign it I get "invalid application".
    Here's my jad file

MIDlet-1: HelloMIDlet, , hello.HelloMIDlet
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-1: (removed for post)
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-2: (removed for post)
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-3: (removed for post)
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-4: (removed for post)
    MIDlet-Jar-RSA-SHA1: (removed for post)
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 18466
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: Monday2.jar
    MIDlet-Name: Monday2
    MIDlet-Permissions: javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.read, javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.write, javax.microedition.io.Connector.https
    MIDlet-Vendor: Vendor
    MIDlet-Version: 1.0
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.1

Any suggestions?

Super Contributor

Re: C3-00 invalid application issue

traud will probably answer and correct me with correct information :-), but I would try removing the MIDlet-Certificate-1-4 and maybe 1-3 lines and try installing again.
    His very good list of potential issues seems not to be available right now though
    http://developer.sonyericsson.com/co...d/42239#111184

Hartti
    Last edited by hartti; 2011-02-08 at 22:18. Reason: removed duplicate word

Hartti, the current VeriSign code-signing certificates require MIDlet-Certificate-1-3 because VeriSign introduced an additional intermediate certificate. However, I too would remove MIDlet-Certificate-1-4 because nobody needs that line. Thank you for linking to my thread, however, the Sony Ericsson Developer World Discussion Board is shut down – forever.

scoleman2272, please go through this list which is the same as Hartti referred to. Furthermore, make sure your MANIFEST.MF does not contain anything related to signing. Just drop your JAR on a ZIP decoder and double-check for sure. Did that help? If not post send me your JAD via private message or email and I might have a look. If you do not like that, I suggest to buy technical support from Nokia, because (after passing my list) you might face a platform bug which needs attention.

I've looked at your list and I can't see anything wrong with it (I've tried without the cert 1-4 line too).

The bizzare thing is that everythig was working earlier today. I was able to sign app's and deploy them successfully. At one point I exited netbeans and restarted then everything came up "invalid application" after that. Has anyone experienced that?

Super Contributor

tough to pinpoint...

Have you checked that the JAR file contains all the necessary files and the contents of manifest file are ok as well?

Could be also that you are using either an older version of the JAR or JAD file for installation (by accident) on the device and of course the JAR-size attribute is our of whack in this case. Try removing all the conflicting files from the device or rename the JAR and JAD files and try again.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: C3-00 invalid application issue

Quote Originally Posted by scoleman2272 View Post
    I've looked at your list and I can't see anything wrong with it (I've tried without the cert 1-4 line too).

The bizzare thing is that everythig was working earlier today. I was able to sign app's and deploy them successfully. At one point I exited netbeans and restarted then everything came up "invalid application" after that. Has anyone experienced that?
    If this was working on the same device then you need to check few points very carefully,

1. Check the device date and time
    2. You should test some other app and check that if that works?
    3. Even a comparison of the jad and manifest file's entries will be of interest?
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

> everythig was working earlier today.

The chain-of-certificates is ok. As stated, you do not need MIDlet-Certificate-x-4. Just drop the root out of your keystore.

Perhaps, NetBeans does not update MIDlet-Jar-RSA-SHA1. To test that, simply change one line of code and build again. If that line does not change, NetBeans does not sign anymore and it is an IDE issue. By the way, if you go for (final) signing, do not use IDEs but the GUI-tools or command-line tools directly. Signing is very tricky and much can go wrong. Of course, if signing is part of your current development cycle, then you have to find a solution.

As Hartti explained, if you install via Bluetooth, make sure to remove all previous version of your MIDlet or consider to use OTA (WAP/Web). Sometimes there are JAD left-overs and JAD mismatches. Series 40 is not so good in this regard.

The SHA1 line is being updated properly. I'm sure this is a netbeans issue because yesterday after playing around with the ide for a couple of hours it started to work again. Of course this morning after restarting I'm back to square one and I don't know what I did to make it work (I believe that I removed the keystore and reinstalled it but can't get that to work now). So, either NEtbeans is not signing correctly - or using the correct keystore, or it's deploying improperly. (I have checked that after I make a change to the version number of the applet and deploy it I can look at the properties of the app on the phone and the correct version is getting to the phone - of course when I try to run it it comes up "invalid application" (yes, the jar size in the jad file looks right). Is there a good refererence on using command line to sign the jad/jar combination you can recommend?

Super Contributor

Have you tried renaming your app (both JAD and JAR files) and installing those new files (to make sure there is no old JAD/JAR file lurking around?

Hartti

That might happen because most of the time Netbeans has this problem

For a one-time check of the SHA-1, it should be easier to use the emulator of Sun/Oracle. It comes with a graphical signing tool in the KToolbar. Howerver, if you want to go for command line have a look at this example, especially this link.

A few days rest did good. IT's now working. I still haven't figured out exactly what went wrong. Netbeans was definitely screwing things up. Thanks everybody for your help.