Discussion Board

Flash games on Nokia N97 (Symbian)

Hello,

I might be in the wrong forum but I was looking on the internet for days now and I cant find an answer to my question. So I really hope you developer guys can help me.

Is it possible to have some kind of flash player installed on a Nokia N97 mini? I heard about Flash Lite but i couldnt figure out, it this is what i am looking for.
    I love to play small browser flash games while i am sitting in the bus for example. So i would really like to have the possibility to play in my smartphone browser, which is Opera Mobile 10.

I would be happy if you can tell me, how i can make it happen to be able to play flash games on my N97 mini.
    Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: Flash games on Nokia N97 (Symbian)

The N97 mini already comes with Flash Lite v3.0 built-in. It can play .swf files that are compatible with Flash Lite v3.0 or earlier, and Flash Lite is to some extent compatible with "full" Flash 8 or 9 (I don't remember exactly).

I don't know if Opera Mobile 10 supports the Flash Lite browser plugin, but the original Symbian/S60 browser that comes with the phone does. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Flash games on web pages will all work on the phone (they have to be written so that they work with Flash Lite, and the web page also must not block/prevent access to the Flash content, from the phone browser - sometimes web designers do browser detection, and redirect phones to pages without Flash, or just post an error message asking people to use IE, install Flash or whatever they assume will "fix" the problem).

thanks for your quick reply.

unfortunately, it doesnt matter which browser i am using. i did not yet find a game that works. i am browsing for those on famous pages like miniclip.com.
    also s3.kickerstar.de is one of my favourites. but nothing works, everytime a game should be loaded, an error message like "Adobe Flash Player required" is displayed.
    Actually, some of the game description say that games are optimized for mobile use so i wonder why it doesnt work at all. Is there some kind of patch i can (re)install on my phone so that i can make sure, there is at least a plugin installed. I can't even tell if there is something flash-related on my phone installed since i didnt find a menu that says so.

Super Contributor

Find a Flash Lite .swf file on the net (e.g., from Adobe's Flash Exchange pages on adobe.com) and copy it to your phone and launch it from the file manager. If it runs, you have the evidence that the phone has Flash Lite (it does, even if you don't do the test).

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm

There's nothing to re-install or patch. There may be newer developer versions of Flash Lite that can be installed, but those do not come with a browser plugin, so you can only use them to run local (on the phone) .swf files.

You may be able to download and save the .swf files from the web sites you're interested in on a PC, and then copy the .swf files to the phone.

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,
    as Pretrib mentioned your N97 mini does have flash Lite 3.0 for standalone and browser content.
    Now the browser cannot playback all flash content on the net since it's based on a older version of Flash.

What I suggest you is to download content from OVI Store, there are several content created in Flash Lite including apps and games.

If you want to tryout some check Kero Mobile in OVI Store.

Alessandro