Discussion Board

How To Connect ACR122 Eksternal using NOKIA 6212 SDK

Dear all,

I am newbe....I have External Card Reader ACR122 1 unit and SDK Nokia 6212, but now i want to connect both of this item, may be anyone can help me to guide how it can be done. If you have a tutorial about this, it's better....thanks...

May be i have to install support tools or software, please give me the explaination....thanks....

Re: How To Connect ACR122 Eksternal using NOKIA 6212 SDK

When you say connect you have the choice between three strategies:
    - The phone is in "card emulation mode" and the reader is in "reader mode". Then the reader talks to the phone's internal secure element.
    - The phone is in "reader mode" while the reader is in "card emulation mode". That's just the opposite, I don't know if it can be done with that reader.
    - Both devices are in P2P mode

Which one do you want ?

May be you can explain to me one by one of the three strategies above...How about the first and the last one.....can you guide me to build....?

Before starting coding and if you're not very familiar with NFC I suggest you start reading documentation. There are loads of nice articles on the web explaining how NFC works.

But to answer your question the easiest way to make the phone communicate with your reader is probably the first strategy.
    You need to know that there's a secret smart card hidden in your 6212. Using the reader you can communicate with this smart card by sending APDU commands.
    The bad news is that you will need to code and install a Java Card applet on this smart card to receive and treat APDU commands.
    The second bad news is that the secure element is locked but you can easily unlock it by following this tutorial

Regarding the P2P solution, it would be nice to be able to establish a direct connection between the phone and the reader but as far as I know it doesn't work well. The problem is that the JSR 257 doesn't support the P2P mode (I'm assuming that you're developing in Java). Nokia has provided a proprietary API to be able to establish P2P connection but last time I tried connecting a 6212 and a NFC reader it didn't work properly. However you can easily connect two 6212s using Nokia's API.

Cheers