Discussion Board

Thread: Signer Issues

Regular Contributor

Signer Issues

I cannot install a qt program that records voice.. I am not using any publisher ID from OVI. Is it because of that? or it's the problem of my program.

it says General OS error.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Signer Issues

try disabling the silen installation on the build settings, or try manually installing the application from the device with file manager. Then you could see whether the error is installation time error.

Anyway, you could also see whether you are using any capabilities in your pro file that are not allowed to be used with self-signed applications.

You should only need UserEnvironment capability for recording audio, which is fine for self-signing. Are you using Qt Mobility to do it though? Have you installed the Qt Mobility libraries first?

Always disable the silent installation first if something won't install though - it will tell you what the problem is (well you'll get a clue anyway).

Regular Contributor

tnx, but the sample program that I downloaded has the capabilities,

symbian: {
    TARGET.CAPABILITY = UserEnvironment ReadDeviceData WriteDeviceData AllFiles
    }

it has a file browser.

I am using QMediaRecorder, and QMediaPlayer libraries.

tnx

AllFiles is suspicious, there are hardly any applications needing this capability. Just remove it, that example does not need it.
    Out of the remaining capabilities, the ones with *DeviceData require devcert signing (not Publisher ID signing) so if you are using self -signing, the installation will fail.

In general, when you don't have a valid certificate to sign the required capabilities, the installation will fail. If the installation succeeds but the application fails to run, then the certificate is no longer at play, the problem must be sought in the code (debugging).

Can you please:
    a) spend some time reading the Platform Security and signing docs for Symbian (see http://library.forum.nokia.com)
    b) indicate the source of this example so we can eventually correct its capability requirements
    c) post here the build log from the "4 Compile Output" console of Qt Creator?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I suspect it is the "audiorecorder" example from mobility package, it indeed has the capabilities, though I have not tested I would suppose it is not really needing all of them..

I remember reporting this type of capability abuse long time ago, but ... I guess we'll have to prune the examples again.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite