Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Do I need a publisher ID for a file browser application

sir if I will be building a file browser do I need a publisher ID? and do I need to sign my application with its certificate?
    Last edited by divanov; 2011-02-10 at 13:09. Reason: removing unrelated part of the post

Regular Contributor

Re: Full Duplex Chat

sir, Im using a default UID in my qt, do you think if i'll be building a file browser I need to sign it? before I'll be able to deploy it on my phones?

do I need to have a publisher ID to access all files?

Super Contributor

You don't need a publisher ID if you self-sign your app.

Note, however, that for Symbian, you do need to get AllFiles capability for your app, if you wish to see/view all files on the phone. That requires the manufacturer (Nokia) to grant your app the use of that capability. They won't. Read up on Symbian Platform Security to know more.

As long as you don't need to be able to browse the platform security data-caged folders, there's no need for AllFiles.

There really isn't any need for another commercial file browser. If it's just for your own (& friends) phones then you never need a publisher ID. For anything you'd get capabilities granted for, Open Signed Online will do.

Regular Contributor

Re: Do I need a publisher ID for a file browser application

tnx, I just have to test it for my project, so im doing the self signing...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Is not a question of test vs publish, it is a question of objectives ans ambitions. As long as you are only targeting the public areas of the file system you are fine without special signing.

Speaking of Publisher IDs: they are relatively expensive and only available for companies. However, Nokia offers free signing and free (yet somewhat limited) developer certificates so if you take that offer you don't need a Publisher ID. In fact, whether you go for a publisher ID later there is no reason not to start by obtaining a free devcert from Ovi for now. So I really encourage you to register to Ovi Publishing and the apply for the free devcert, it will make your development live easier and unlock 13 out of the 20 capabilities for your application. Apply for it now so you don't have to wait for it when you need it most.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Sir, I applied for it I already have an account in Ovi Publisher, the problem is I can't get any devcert, because It is asking for a bank information. do I have to enter my bank information before I get my dev cert?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    You don't need a publisher ID if you self-sign your app.

Note, however, that for Symbian, you do need to get AllFiles capability for your app, if you wish to see/view all files on the phone. That requires the manufacturer (Nokia) to grant your app the use of that capability. They won't. Read up on Symbian Platform Security to know more.
    I have the same project I need to see all the files in the memory card is that possible ? if so what i suppose to do to revoke the security level from nokia?

Quote Originally Posted by LesterPH View Post
    Sir, I applied for it I already have an account in Ovi Publisher, the problem is I can't get any devcert, because It is asking for a bank information. do I have to enter my bank information before I get my dev cert?
    The process is documented here but it only mentions a Terms and Conditions document, in which I don't find any reference to the word bank at all. Where and in what context are you being asked for that info?
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2011-02-10 at 18:07.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by dr.nokia View Post
    I have the same project I need to see all the files in the memory card is that possible ? if so what i suppose to do to revoke the security level from nokia?
    You should review your project's requirements, you will find that you don't actually "need" to see "all files". Read the Platform Security and Data Caging chapters in Symbian's documentation and learn about which areas of the file system are protected and why, then you will understand better what the limitations are.

As for petrib's statement that "... they won't ...", that should be taken in the right context. Nokia will grant you access to the capability and thus to the files, IF YOU HAVE A VALID REASON FOR THE REQUEST. It is true however that is already stated that a "file browser/manager" feature in itself it is not a valid reason.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Is that possible to navigate the folders in Nokia device via Qt without any security measurement ?

Is that possible to navigate the folders in Nokia device via Qt without any security measurement ?
    Yes, you can navigate most folders, with Qt or Symbian C++ alike. The only protected areas are documented at Data caging under the Platform security architecture chapter of the docs.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    You should review your project's requirements, you will find that you don't actually "need" to see "all files". Read the Platform Security and Data Caging chapters in Symbian's documentation and learn about which areas of the file system are protected and why, then you will understand better what the limitations are.

As for petrib's statement that "... they won't ...", that should be taken in the right context. Nokia will grant you access to the capability and thus to the files, IF YOU HAVE A VALID REASON FOR THE REQUEST. It is true however that is already stated that a "file browser/manager" feature in itself it is not a valid reason.
    Im only looking for images that stored in the memory card with .jpg format this is possible right ?

Super Contributor

Im only looking for images that stored in the memory card with .jpg format this is possible right ?
    Yes, if you only need the .jpg files from directories/folders that are not protected by Symbian Platform Security (e.g, the folders where the phone's Camera app saves pictures is not protected).

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Yes, if you only need the .jpg files from directories/folders that are not protected by Symbian Platform Security (e.g, the folders where the phone's Camera app saves pictures is not protected).
    Is there any example to browse the camera's folder with Qt ?