×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    82

    Future of Ovi Store for Symbian apps?

    Hi,

    Obviously there is much confusion today.

    Do we have any timeline if/when Ovi Store is going away? Is the existing Symbian and Qt app portfolio going to be transferred to Microsoft Marketplace, or will that be just for WP7 apps?
    Grego
    http://mpaja.com/

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    171

    Re: Future of Ovi Store for Symbian apps?

    Hi

    The Microsoft WP7 is a long term partnership so in the near term, there still remains a huge installed Symbian base(200M) and more than a 150M devices still to be shipped. So, it makes good financial sense to support the Ovi Store- it will still be there in the short term and continue long term.

    Thank you

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    506

    Re: Future of Ovi Store for Symbian apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by OviStewey View Post
    So, it makes good financial sense to support the Ovi Store- it will still be there in the short term and continue long term.

    Thank you
    how can we trust in this looking at things happend yesterday?
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

  4. #4
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    67

    Re: Future of Ovi Store for Symbian apps?

    I really feel for hundreds if not thousands that will lose their job through no fault of their own. Unfortunately, app developers will also be the losers in Nokia's harakiri.

    After 9 years working for and with Symbian, I am calling it quits. Thanks for all the fish and good luck with your new CEO.
    Last edited by ivanlitovski; 2011-02-12 at 22:12.

  5. #5
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,020

    Re: Future of Ovi Store for Symbian apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by OviStewey View Post
    Hi

    The Microsoft WP7 is a long term partnership so in the near term, there still remains a huge installed Symbian base(200M) and more than a 150M devices still to be shipped. So, it makes good financial sense to support the Ovi Store- it will still be there in the short term and continue long term.

    Thank you
    Look: I have to defend the little guy here. Stewey is not wrong.

    Even though the devices have no future, they are on the road today and will probably stay up to a few more months. So discontinuing your apps immediately is dumb - of course, building a longtime future on Symbian is not a good idea.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    506

    Re: Future of Ovi Store for Symbian apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Look: I have to defend the little guy here. Stewey is not wrong.

    Even though the devices have no future, they are on the road today and will probably stay up to a few more months. So discontinuing your apps immediately is dumb - of course, building a longtime future on Symbian is not a good idea.
    for sure I will not abandon any symbian activity immediately (will check ovi store income ). But anyway the main question is trust: tomorrow another Yolopll decide to do not pay Ovi store amount to developers...who knows, what platform will burns next?
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

  7. #7
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    150

    Re: Future of Ovi Store for Symbian apps?

    Ovi Store is soon to become a "burning store" :-)))

Similar Threads

  1. Mobile ads not possible for apps in OVI Store
    By biskero in forum [Archived] Publish to Nokia Store – General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2011-08-22, 07:51
  2. Symbian Apps on OVI Store
    By somnathbanik in forum Symbian Signed Support, Application Packaging and Distribution and Security
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2011-01-18, 09:50
  3. Dependencies to extras repository are allowed for OVI store apps?
    By pippo2010 in forum [Closed] Publishing to Nokia Store
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-10-15, 12:28
  4. Ovi Store free signing for Jave apps
    By pixsta in forum [Closed] Publishing to Nokia Store
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2010-07-14, 00:07
  5. [moved] Looking for a coder for Ovi Store Apps
    By CARNIVALCOMICS in forum News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-08-29, 19:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×