Discussion Board

Thread: Nokia, Ovi, MS

Nokia, Ovi, MS

its not clear from the announcement if Ovi Store will live on or not we demand an answer for this (and im not talking about the present or a few months ahead but long term)
    if so in what form will it be? Java apps still gets publish? (since according to the announcement s40 still lives on)

Now in my honest and what i think is good view that is shared by 99% of Nokia user base world wide the MSFT-Nok is extremely bad (i honestly believe that elop acts not in the true best interest for Nokia but rather for MS.
    Nokia & Ovi is already an eco-system (just look at the growth of Ovi downloads now reaching 4 millions a day) and i can confirm as a Ovi publisher that revenues have gone up as well (i've tripled my income from Ovi compared to a few months back) and symbian^3 selling in great numbers world wide in just the last quarter (screw the US market its not the world its not even the leading one when it comes to smartphones)

making Nokia into just another OEM (have you checked the anouncement what the hell nokia brings to the table beside maps which are of navteq and not even made by nokia)
    is wrong forget the fact that WP7 is miles behind meego and even symbian... the finnish economy is going under in about 3-4 years if this happen...
    i hope Nokia employees will start some sort of rebellion which will lead to overturn of this bad decision.

also check the response of investors and the stock (if anything elop has to answer to share holders and they are NOT happy!)

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia, Ovi, MS

Quote Originally Posted by shaii View Post
    beside maps which are of navteq and not even made by nokia
    FWIW: NAVTEQ is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nokia (i.e., it is part of Nokia). NAVTEQ provides the map data. The Nokia/Ovi Maps appliction software, and related PC software, are developed on the Nokia side, not NAVTEQ.

I fully agree with shaii. Microsoft has won this round, Nokia has thrown in the towel and got demoted to be yet another OEM.
    MeeGo, Qt, Symbian are all doomed ----> Nokia just lost its entire developer community, Microsoft got a huge shot in the arm. Ridiculous decision. Go to any forum , you will hear the same opinions. Take a look at the market - investors also think the same way.

Regular Contributor

As a Symbian fan (although I am also an iPhone and Android user) I am very disappointed about the recent decisions. I also think that it's like a trojan horse (= Nokia CEO) situation with the result that Nokia will be aquired soon or later by Microsoft. I don't think that Windows 7 is a winner to reach the North American market because at the moment neither Nokia, nor Microsoft have a great share there (as far as I know Windows Mobile has only a somewhat great popularity in Germany).

Further, from an economic view Symbian^3 would had a great chance to reach good user feedback and market share in one year or so (without the new perspective of a dying system). I recently bought a N8 and I am extremly happy with it. The same applies to a lot of my friends. The main problem with Symbian^3 is the bashing from people who only know the old Symbian versions and/or people and magazines only focused on Android and iOS (for instance Heise c't or iX which are in general good magazines but are recently flooded with such reviews almost completely ignoring Symbian^3).

Finally there are plans to move Ovi over to MS Markeplace/Zune. At first I thought that this is a nice decision but after a short review of Zune I have to admit that Ovi store is worlds better (e.g. Zune still lacks of basic reporting tools, can only be accessed with a windows application, ...). Especially the recent Ovi store client updates make shopping in the store very friendly.

waiting for official reply from Ovi about my original post here

Super Contributor

Not an offical reply as I don't work for Nokia, but think about this for a second or two...

3 out of 4 Nokia phones sold are Series 40, so it is still a big part of Nokia's business (Java apps/games, Series 40 UI themes, wallpapers, etc.)

There are still a 100+ million Symbian phones in use today, and people might still buy content for them, too, for as long as people use their phones.

Nokia plans to (but probably won't reach that goal) sell 150 million more/new Symbian based phones, and no matter how many they end up selling, it still will be a lot (tens of millions of new Symbian based phones using current and still unannounced models).

So, for the next 2-3 years, at least, there's definitely a strong Series 40 market to look at, and a sizable even if (more or less rapidly) diminishing Symbian market for the next 12-24 months (probably closer to 12 than 24, but time will tell).

In addition, the Microsoft Marketplace is still there for Windows Phone 7 content, and at least I find it extremely unlikely that Microsoft will start to sell Java MIDlets and other Serie 40 content there.

Hi petrib,
    Yes i know how many s40 are sold and how big business and etc etc etc (basically all what you've said is no news to me)
    But it does not answer my questions of what is the future of Ovi since the announcement said that Ovi will be integrated into windows market store so will none WP7 Nokia phones still be able to log into Ovi ? download apps/games? j2me still get published? etc etc etc
    which is why im expecting an official response from Ovi team...