Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qt and Meego: the only Nokia solution i want!

I'm very sad about recent merge between Nokia and MS; moreover there isn't planned ANY port of Qt for windows mobile 7!
    I think that i'll never buy such Nokia devices and i'll NEVER develop on it without Qt...
    Now I'm looking forward to Intel (the only that seems to want use meego as a PROFESSIONAL OS on its devices)...
    I'll develop on symbian^3 with my N8 until the disaster comes up...from that point, i'll follow ONLY QT and INTEL (if it creates meego device using Qt) and I'll return back to APPLE iphone development (which i've dropped to Nokia/Qt).

I hope the message will be read by Nokia (by Mr. Elop in primis)!
    Last edited by AlterX; 2011-02-12 at 12:48.
    Merry Christmas Tombola! available on OVI Store!
    SuperDaddy available on OVI Store!

QT VirtualKeyboard: http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/VirtualKeyboard?content=107388
    Crack Generator: http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/MosaicCrack?content=121832

Re: Qt and Meego: the only Nokia solution i want!

Why should Elop care? He does Microsoft business, not Nokia's.

Nokia I give you a tip: what about a nice bankrupt countdown in your homepage?
    "I feel this is a very positive step and finally allows Nokia to leapfrog ahead of the competion. The gaps in each others technology are filled instantly like clock work gears."

Ron :/

Super Contributor

Hi AlterX, Darkbasic, all

In these times it is important to preserve optimism and see the long term, larger ecosystem securing staregical points, even it might be difficult after the first reactions.

Personally, I am fully confident we are now on the right track to establish a strong competitive strategy in this turbulent economy and markets we have to navigate in.

It is about survival, and to be able to do that one needs to be always ready to change, be ready to adapt and adjust when needed.

I hope you would stick with us, together we can build the new ecosystem and make it the greatest and strongest on this planet.

The new strategy will create new unexplored worlds for you to conquer and utilize for your benefit. This is only the beginning of the new
    exciting journey, full of great new possibilities and business ideas - be ready to explore them!

Have a great weekend all,

Yours
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
    Hi AlterX, Darkbasic, all

In these times it is important to preserve optimism and see the long term, larger ecosystem securing staregical points, even it might be difficult after the first reactions.

Personally, I am fully confident we are now on the right track to establish a strong competitive strategy in this turbulent economy and markets we have to navigate in.

It is about survival, and to be able to do that one needs to be always ready to change, be ready to adapt and adjust when needed.

I hope you would stick with us, together we can build the new ecosystem and make it the greatest and strongest on this planet.

The new strategy will create new unexplored worlds for you to conquer and utilize for your benefit. This is only the beginning of the new
    exciting journey, full of great new possibilities and business ideas - be ready to explore them!

Have a great weekend all,

Yours
    Marko
    Sorry Marko,
    but if i wanted to buy a WMP7, i had already bought an htc!!!
    With your choise now there isn't any different between Nokia and all the others!!!
    Merry Christmas Tombola! available on OVI Store!
    SuperDaddy available on OVI Store!

QT VirtualKeyboard: http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/VirtualKeyboard?content=107388
    Crack Generator: http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/MosaicCrack?content=121832

1. WP7 not ready yet, and lack critical features that can be found even in Symbian 3rd edition.. MR
    2. WP7 is a VM for god sake! which means taking the good 1.5 Ghz CPU and degrading it to 0.2
    3. QT not supporting WP7.. totally politic. WILL NOT help Nokia to survive in the market. BIG MISTAKE. again political decision.
    4. Meego is simply better and more mature (based on Linux), this can be seen by any demo of WP / Meego.
    5. Nokia will now have 3 OS's .. for god sake. Who is making the decisions, and does he want good for Nokia?

I really hope you people in Nokia forum pass on the feedbacks / anger that is upcoming from the miserable announcement made by alop last Friday.
    Might be that it's not too late to change somethings.. hopefully.. at least not dump QT/Intel strategy, and let us all know what is going to happen about it.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rubizm View Post
    5. Nokia will now have 3 OS's .. for god sake. Who is making the decisions, and does he want good for Nokia?
    Count again.

For 65-70% of all the phones that Nokia makes, they use, either
    - The low-end to low mid-range OS called Series 40 (Nokia proprietary), or
    - The entry-level "Series 30" OS (no possibility for user-installable apps)

That's 2, already.

For the 30-35% of the Nokia phones, they have two versions of Symbian out:
    - Symbian^3
    - S60 5th Edition with Symbian v9.4
    (- Might have to count S60 3rd Edition with Symbian v9.1-v9.3 here, too.)

That's +1 or +2 depending on how you think of it, but let's just say 1 (Symbian).

Total's now 3.

Then there's a small number of maemo 5 based devices (one model). That's +1, but since maemo 6 became essentially MeeGo, which isn't out yet, I won't add that. So 1 Linux based OS.

Total's now 4.

Then we add Windows Phone 7, and we get to 5 operating systems for Nokia phones.

MeeGo is now a special "project", and not a major target for Nokia's high-end smartphones, so it is essentially going to be stagnant and some sort of a just-in-case-they-need-Linux-in-the-future. On the overall phone market it will be as irrlevant as maemo 5 is.

As I see it, Symbian's in essentially put into "maintenance mode" and Nokia will do - but not with any great investments, so no major new features or evolution - Symbian phones for as long as people buy them. Nokia's estimate is 150 million more. With current rates, that's about 18-24 months of worth + then 6-12 months of maintenance for the last models. In reality, I suspect that even if Nokia's goal is 150 million, that's not going to happen, and they'll probably stop making new Symbian based models in the next 12-18 months depending on how fast they can get out a decent Windows Phone 7 device portfolio. The faster developers abandon Symbian/Qt, the faster it'll die off.

How well Nokia does, will also depend on how the employees take this (so that they don't fire skilled people they need, or they don't leave on their own volition), and how they manage to hire new talent (there are probably current or former Motorola, Samsung and Sony Ericsson Winows Mobile/Windows Phone 7 engineers that might be willing to work for Nokia).

In any case, the average consumer won't care that much what OS their phones run. They just want them pretty and shiny, get to Facebook, YouTube, play games, take photos, listen to music, and sometimes also to get new apps.

So,
    Why MeeGo/QT didn't succeed, why no MeeGo phone out there yet?
    Was this a political decision to leave Meego out for Microsoft to come in, or it was just "too much" for Nokia to deliver MeeGo on time?
    I mean, as a developer with years of experience in both MS / Symbian I found QT very very strong, so how come it didn't "prevail" yet?
    Strange..

Nokia Developer Moderator

Maveric, are you familiar with Bullshit Bingo?
    http://www.bullshitbingo.net/cards/bullshit/

@Maveric

I'm sorry, no Qt no party.
    "I feel this is a very positive step and finally allows Nokia to leapfrog ahead of the competion. The gaps in each others technology are filled instantly like clock work gears."

Ron :/

Dumb decision Nokia... seriously.. my next phone is BB with QNX. At least it's stable and secure. Windows has a HORRIBLE security track record.. ditto on the stability.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    The faster developers abandon Symbian/Qt, the faster it'll die off.
    Killing the Symbian/MeeGo/Qt is the easy part. Elop/Balmer press conference pretty much did it in one huge blow. Let's see the much more uncertain parts of the new Nokia strategy:

1. How to survive 2-3 years before having full WinMo portfolio and WinMo is not lacking copy/paste and a ton other things that even bada has?
    2. If the above happens, how to convince people to buy Nokia WinMo phone when the HTC or Samsung one has the same features and better price?
    3. If the above happens, how is going Microsoft to convince developers to work with entirely new set of tools/languages/frameworks? C# is nothing even in the desktop world (name me one good program in C# please) and MS is trying to force it with WinMo?! Every other major platform allows using C++ for most of non-UI related functionality (even iOS does). All are using Open GL ES for 3D and MS - DirectX. Good luck with trying to lure developers with the most closed platform with no options to port to another platforms.

I really hope that this will turn out good for Nokia in the long run but I will probably stay away from WinMo until it has at lest 20% marketshare (5% if it supports native C++ development).

Super Contributor

Hi,

Now Nokia has one more challenge to build a low cost phone based on high cost software (OS) and high cost hardware requirements with at least all the feature as iPhone and Andriod have, with in a year. I am keeping my finger cross.
    Use [URL="http://qt.nokia.com/products/qt-quick/"]Qt-Quick[/URL] to make your application UI more attractive.

[URL="http://store.ovi.com/content/271896"]http://store.ovi.com/content/271896[/URL] | [URL="http://store.ovi.com/content/276199"]http://store.ovi.com/content/276199[/URL] |[URL="http://store.ovi.com/content/276202"] http://store.ovi.com/content/276202[/URL] | [URL="http://store.ovi.com/content/280827"]http://store.ovi.com/content/280827[/URL]

Its easy to talk about waht great things we will see in the Future.

In Fact:
    Microsoft is in the making since 1999 to bringt .NET to the Developers and make C# and .NET at all
    Shiny. The Essential Point is, thadt .NET Applications on PC has no big Market share at all. Progrrammers
    more often uses Java, Native C/C++ and .NET based Development is widely not accepted by the
    Mainstream Developers AFTER 11 YEARS of Propaganda and Pushing by Microsoft.In the Same Time,
    Microsoft has build its Mobile Operating System Windows CE but this was never an Success story.
    In 2007 Apple and Google Jumps on the Markettraine for Smartphones - and Microsoft and Nokia
    begings laughing about Apple and Google. In present Time, no Nokia Face is smiling anymore.

The same People thadt suckz in the past should now get the Stuff working?

.NET C# and Windows Phone 7 is a Killer - yes - for you Batteries for overhelming
    Power usage - and thadts it is. No professional Developer will go with you along the
    Microsoft Road. You laughing? Yeah, do so - in2 Years you wont smile anymore (again)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by falkmilan View Post
    Its easy to talk about waht great things we will see in the Future.

In Fact:
    Microsoft is in the making since 1999 to bringt .NET to the Developers and make C# and .NET at all
    Shiny. The Essential Point is, thadt .NET Applications on PC has no big Market share at all. Progrrammers
    more often uses Java, Native C/C++ and .NET based Development is widely not accepted by the
    Mainstream Developers AFTER 11 YEARS of Propaganda and Pushing by Microsoft.In the Same Time,
    Microsoft has build its Mobile Operating System Windows CE but this was never an Success story.
    In 2007 Apple and Google Jumps on the Markettraine for Smartphones - and Microsoft and Nokia
    begings laughing about Apple and Google. In present Time, no Nokia Face is smiling anymore.

The same People thadt suckz in the past should now get the Stuff working?

.NET C# and Windows Phone 7 is a Killer - yes - for you Batteries for overhelming
    Power usage - and thadts it is. No professional Developer will go with you along the
    Microsoft Road. You laughing? Yeah, do so - in2 Years you wont smile anymore (again)
    I agree with you.
    I have developed windows applications and windows mobile applications with mfc for more than 10 years. I don't think c#.net is a good choice.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by haha888999 View Post
    I have developed windows applications and windows mobile applications with mfc for more than 10 years.
    Fortunately WP7 has nothing to do with MFC. That environment is real black magic, totally useless without Microsoft's code generator. And this is the technology which brought "Dll Hell"
    I don't think c#.net is a good choice.
    I can easily name mobile environments working with managed languages and virtual machine. There are very successful and widespread ones amongst them.