Discussion Board

App tagged with "This item may require a one-time download of components"

Finally version 1.0 of a first Qt app has gone through QA and surfaced in the Ovi Store earlier this week. (I'm coming in from Anrdoid where I've gotten some decent play)
    Live is good, except for a wicked disclaimer that Ovi Store QA has added:
    "This item may require a one-time download of components as large as 13 MB. Use of WLAN is recommended"
    Absolutely not the case, any server interaction is 50KB max and the app is completely suitable to run on 3G or Edge end to end. So I tried to update the app description in publish.ovi.com to at least take the edge of, to no avail.

Needless to say this is a total turn off. The use model of the app assumes a fair amount of user mobility, so that's what I *specifically* designed for. An area where I've invested a considerable amount of work.

It doesn't take much research to reveal that others have been tagged with this boilerplate disclaimer as well, so I don't take it personal or anything. But still... Anybody know how to get rid of this nuisance?

Super Contributor

Re: App tagged with "This item may require a one-time download of components"

This is due to Smart Installer, and the max download for a full Qt setup (if the phone doesn't have Qt and Open C/C++) might, indeed, be up to 13MB depending on the case (only the Symbian^3 models come with a version of Qt preinstalled). Note that it needs to be done only once, and if some other app already has made Smart Installer install Qt, for your app, it is no longer needed.

This is the price you and the consumer pays for enjoying Qt based apps. So, if you rewrite your app as pure, native Symbian C++, and do not use Smart Installer, you don't need to suffer this.

You can also rewrite in Java to get rid of it.

Thank you for the insight, that helps. Two points:
    - The app in question has a distribution target of Symbian^3 only. There's no need for a disclaimer like that. The way it's framed, for lack of a better term, discriminates against Qt apps on that platform. Not well done on Ovi Store's part to say the least. It would also be super helpful if such a disclaimer didn't show where Qt is already installed (talking about the back platforms)
    - I am covering a relative niche market (public transportation apps), and the way I look at it is that the overhead that comes with Symbian is prohibitive. I've seen SDK's over the years. After checking out Qt I'll say there's a lot going for them. Good stuff.

Super Contributor

At the time the disclaimer is shown, it is not yet known whether a Qt or other components need to be updated or not.

Even for Symbian^3 there is, or there is going to be, multiple Qt versions, and Smart Installer will also look for updates, I presume.

Ideally, of course, it'd be better if Smart Installer popped up the warning without the descriptions in advance disclaimers, and then after getting the permission to check, it'd report the real amount of data download needed in this particular case, rather than making an advance warning where people only register mentally the maximum value as that's the only number reported (i.e., the "as large as" means that it could much, much smaller, but it is probably overlooked).

Anyway, there's not much you can do about this at this point yourself (except maybe complain to Ovi Publish support, add your own more descriptive disclaimer, or use something else than Qt).

In any case, if you want to target the next wave of Nokia smartphones, start learning Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 & related tools; no Qt there, nor C++ or Java support.

Not to worry! They are now removing the disclaimer, give it some time...
    You can read about it HERE and HERE.
    I should also point out that while that disclaimer was bad, I think you will soon find this is the least of your worries and bothers when it comes to Ovi...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Heron View Post
    Not to worry! They are now removing the disclaimer, give it some time...
    I suppose after a five week QA process I am well trained in the virtue of patience now.

I should also point out that while that disclaimer was bad, I think you will soon find this is the least of your worries and bothers when it comes to Ovi...
    Dealing with the issues as they arise... Except for this ill conceived disclaimer, it's been a smooth ride thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    if you want to target the next wave of Nokia smartphones, start learning Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 & related tools; no Qt there, nor C++ or Java support.
    I am familiar with .net and C#. I've got an abandoned laptop somewhere around the house that has that stuff on it still...
    At this point, WP7 is a non-starter, unless there's a robust implemenation of Qt on WP7, or, lo and behold, WP7 can show some organic and robust traction among a spendy user base. That's when I'd jump in.
    Last edited by jpfeiffer; 2011-02-14 at 03:13.