Discussion Board

Thread: Python for S40?

Nokia Developer Expert

Python for S40?

Let me open this over 8 years old question posted at http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...l=1#post232117

We're in 2011 and technology evolved, prices went down and we became more demanding. :-)

Is it realistic to expect an S40 release of Python in the not so distant future?

Thanks in advance!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Python for S40?

In all likelihood it is not in any way realistic.

Nokia Developer Expert

Could Jython be deployed (or ported+compiled+released) to S40? http://www.jython.org/

Nokia Developer Champion

8-year old thread? Really? I think you are using different calendar than I am :-)

According to my understanding Jython is based on Java SE (desktop version of Java). As Java ME (and Java ME VM) is much more limited, I am quite sure porting Jython would be very laborious task (and the result would be very limited because of the Java ME VM limitations).

In summary: If you want to develop for S40 devices you need to use either Java ME or Flash Lite.

Hartti

Hi.
    I have a side comment/question: why doesn't Nokia replace S40 completely with S60. Looking at the specifications of one of the latest S40 phones (Nokia C3) it has 55 MB flash, 64 MB RAM, 128 MB ROM.
    5 years old S60's (e.g., running S60 2nd edition) had much less memory than this. But S60 is in my opinion a much better platform (in terms of programability and applications) than S40 - I personally can't think of any advantages of S40 over S60.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rcu View Post
    Hi.
    I have a side comment/question: why doesn't Nokia replace S40 completely with S60. Looking at the specifications of one of the latest S40 phones (Nokia C3) it has 55 MB flash, 64 MB RAM, 128 MB ROM.
    5 years old S60's (e.g., running S60 2nd edition) had much less memory than this. But S60 is in my opinion a much better platform (in terms of programability and applications) than S40 - I personally can't think of any advantages of S40 over S60.
    The Series 40 hardware can still be much lower spec than what current Symbian/S60 requires. With the lowest spec hw capable of running Symbian (or Linux), Series 40 can still go lower. Remember, that most of Nokia's revenues come from entry level and low-end phones. The margins on smartphones is certainly higher (you can charge 500 for hw that costs 120 to build). On the low end, you can charge 80 for hw that costs 50 to make (or at the entry leve, charge 30 for hw that costs 10 to make), but you have to sell significantly more in terms of units.

In addition, besides the component costs, the labor costs for producing a new Series 40 based phone, is probably still a fraction of the work required to make a new Symbian/S60 phone (even after 10 years of improving Symbian).

One of Nokia's problems with S60 was that it tried to simultaneously take it in two different directions: Originally it was a high-end smartphone platform, but it moved to be more of a high-mid-range solution, and Nokia wanted it to become simultaneosul a low-end/low-cost platform as well as a high-end platform. It just didn't work, and luckily Nokia was smart enough to keep Series 40 alive and keep investing in it, or the company would be dead by now.

Then Nokia's stragegy changed to obviously keep Series 40 around (cash cow), relegate Symbian to the mid-range and convert the Linux-research project (maemo) from a niche/curiosity to be the next high-end platform (maemo 6, then when they joined forced with Intel to become MeeGo).

Apparently the Symbian and MeeGo improvements to allow them to retain Symbian's status in the mid-range, and bring out MeeGo fast enough and competitive enough, resulted in the current strategy change, where Windows Phone 7 replaces Symbian in the mid-range, and possibly also in the high-end. MeeGo is kept on life-support just-in-case. Symbian is effectively dead (a corpse still walking, regardless of whether it deserves it or not).

Series 40 is still alive and kicking, and I doubt that Windows can ever reach as low in the value-chain where Series 40 is. It is possible that some form of embedded Linux can come close at some point (not necessarily Android), but time will tell (the Linux CPU and memory requirements are still much higher than what Series 40 needs, and you can still install and run apps on it, and meet most people's multimedia needs, too).

There are still 2-3 billion people on this planet, that has no PC of their own, nor have they a mobile phone. They might never buy a PC, but many of them will buy a phone, but they won't care whether it runs Windows, Linux or whatever. They want to communicate with their friends, and possibly use it for business (as a phone, or for messaging, or for transactions - buying and selling primarily physical goods like food, clothes, tools). Still a growth market, but you must be able to make very cheap phones, but that are still attractive looking and durable. And on many of those markets, Nokia is a well known brand with high value, and Microsoft, Android, HTC, Samsung and Motorola are almost totally unknown.

Hi.
    A few people already ported Jythone to J2ME (at least for Sony Ericsson): https://code.google.com/p/jythonme/ . (Also http://web.archiveorange.com/archive...pUVCUCD4jJBmX4 mentions JRuby on J2ME - see http://kenai.com/projects/jruby/page...vaMicroEdition).
    I personally think it is feasible on more powerful J2ME phones, but it would need a bit of hacking. Do you want to join the effort?