Discussion Board

Keypad (or Keyboard) Label for Input Widgets

Hello,

On the N8, when you write a text message with the onscreen (virtual) keyboard there is the label "Message: " at the start of the typing display area above the actual keyboard keys. I've seen another app with similar functionality, where the virtual keypad/board has the buddy label widget's text inserted at the top. None of the input widgets (QSpinBox, QLineEdit, QPlainTextEdit, etc.), as far as I can tell, have a field for this. I suppose you can insert the text with an eventFilter that traps for MouseButtonPressed, but that doesn't prevent you from backspacing over the label text the way these other apps do. If this has to be done with custom programming, I'll spend some time to figure it out, but it seems like something that's part of the API that I just haven't found. Is there a library call or widget that implements the virtual keypad label?

Thanks,

Phil

Regular Contributor

Re: Keypad (or Keyboard) Label for Input Widgets

Hi, this is not supported by Qt. You need to use Symbian controls to get this behavior or implement it yourself into QWidgets.
    But good that you reminded me.. I had forgotten we don't have this. I do think we had report about it.. I'll go and dig.

-Janne

Re: Keypad (or Keyboard) Label for Input Widgets

Got it. Thanks Janne. I suppose this addition to Qt won't appear until the next release at the soonest. I'll look into the Symbian API in the meantime. (Side note: If I don't find a straightforward call in Symbian, I'm thinking an implementation in Qt could trap for keypress events and simply eat backspaces once they reach the first position after the label. Perhaps something to eventually post to the wiki.)

Phil