Discussion Board

Do I need to register a new publisher account for Microsoft Marketplace?

Now that I've somewhat come to grips with the reality of the new Microsoft and Nokia tie-up, I have began to look into Windows Phone 7 and how to develop for it. But now my question is about the Marketplace. If I already have a publisher account for Ovi Store, do I need to create a new one for the Windows Phone Marketplace?

Cheers
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Do I need to register a new publisher account for Microsoft Marketplace?

I would assume that since we do not have a Windows phone readily available at the stores, Information for the selling channels & ways on registering them would not be available. Anyway, as soon as there is a device which users can use for purchasing applciation, I'm certain before then we will have the information available.

Super Contributor

And even when there'll be information available, I'm sure that you will have to separately register to Microsoft's "app store", if you want to sell your apps there (even if it is for Nokia's future Windows phones).

You may do so already now (as you can already sell apps to Samsung, HTC, LG and other Windows Phone 7 models today, while you wait for Nokia to catch up).

Or you can wait. Probably weeks or months before everyhing is clear even between Nokia and Microsoft, and until they're ready for concrete details, and even longer than you'll see actual phones from Nokia on the market.

I do wonder if it is worth to pay to register to Windows Phone Marketplace, because it's $99/year and there isn't that large customer base at the moment. Also, it would feel only right that existing Ovi Store publisher would get the account for free as an incentive to start to develop for Windows Phone 7 too. To be honest, I would like to get more than just a free membership!

Cheers

Hmm... in some places I read that Ovi Store will start to sell WP7 apps... This is so very confusing. I wish someone from Nokia and/or Microsoft would give more info for us developers. Soon. Please.

Cheers

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

the quotes are Ovi Store will sell WP7 apps for Nokia devices. This is to be done once wehave the devices on the market.

They are working out the details of program memberships, remember this is just an agreement of intent; the contracts have not been signed yet.

Ron

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    remember this is just an agreement of intent; the contracts have not been signed yet.
    Not your fault, of course, Ron, but announcing the intent without (apparently) much of the actual details being hammered out, has cost Nokia (and Nokia's shareholders) already some 6BUSD in market valuation. Tthat's a steep hill to climb back up (especially if it the bottom may not yet have been reached). I really hope that getting the details agreed and published is the #1 priority for a lot of people inside Nokia, and that they'll deliver fast.