Discussion Board

The future of Qt?

After this brilliant announcment of Nokia and Microsoft, which is the future of Qt?

Will Nokia keep developing Qt and QtMobile?

Are we on a dead track here?

Should i give up on Nokia and finally decide to go ahead with the Android port of my application?

Please give some directions and feedback, because a lot of people is pissed off.

Super Contributor

Re: The future of Qt?

It's looking like Qt is, long term, a dead duck, unless perhaps one of the other Symbian vendors picks it up and runs with it. (And there may in fact be some opportunity for one of the lesser phone mfgrs to make this happen, but that the odds are against it.)

Otherwise, you need to pick your platform(s) -- M$, iPhone, Android, or BB. My guess is that the Android market will be flooded (like it isn't already) with literally hundreds of thousands of developers and millions of apps, and so it's a poor bet if you're hoping to differentiate yourself. M$ (and BB) has the "advantage" that there are relatively few skilled developers around, so you have a better chance of achieving some sort of visibility (if only as a big fish in a small pond).

Of course, you have to ask yourself which platform you'd most enjoy developing for. I find Android to be awkward and restrictive. iPhone is restrictive, but not quite as much as Android, IMO, and of course it's rather arcane. I don't know much about the M$ environment (yet). For my money, Qt is the best of the bunch, but "best" is not always the winner (in fact, it seldom is).

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by gardiol View Post
    After this brilliant announcment of Nokia and Microsoft, which is the future of Qt?

Will Nokia keep developing Qt and QtMobile?

Should i give up on Nokia and finally decide to go ahead with the Android port of my application?

Please give some directions and feedback, because a lot of people is pissed off.
    Find Official answer on below link:
    http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...-future-of-qt/
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team
    World's Greatest Speeches for Windows Phone is now available on WP Marketplace.

And this:
    Qt will not be ported to Windows Phone 7. One of the key benefits of joining an established ecosystem is that there is an established toolchain that everyone uses. All Windows Phone apps will run on all WP7 devices. Adding Qt to the mix would only cause fragmentation.
    And dream:
    And nobody has said that in the future Nokia won’t be selling enough smartphones to amend the deal with Microsoft for a WP7 port of Qt.
    Of course i will, what else can i do right now?
    So let’s trust and support the Qt team. This is not a failure, it’s an opportunity to bring beauty from pain.
    Pretty much f°°k us all up. Thanks Nokia. I am already installing android-lighthouse to see if i can port my Qt app to Android at the least. Maybe there is more hope on that train right now.

Unhappy Re: The future of Qt?

Quote Originally Posted by gardiol View Post
    Although I haven't invested too much in Qt besides some books and self-study time, I had signed up for an upcoming seminar (sponsored by AT&T Developer Program) which got canceled...a sign?

"Our records indicate that you are registered for:
    Qt 4.7 and Qt Quick: Developing Native Apps for the Next Generation of Nokia Smartphones
    This webcast has been canceled. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."
    --Himanshu
    Nokia N8-00 (Symbian Belle, NAM RM-596)
    Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (S60 5th Ed., NAM RM-428, v51.2.007)
    S/w: ADT v1.4 + S60 5.0 SDK on Win7 x64

Hi gardiol !

your question regarding the Qt plateform is true,, after the announcement of the combination of Nokia with Microsoft,, but i would like to say that Qt will not be ported to Windows Phone 7. One of the key benefits of joining an established ecosystem is that there is an established toolchain that everyone uses. All Windows Phone apps will run on all WP7 devices. Adding Qt to the mix would only cause fragmentation.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Addy3013 View Post
    Hi gardiol !

your question regarding the Qt plateform is true,, after the announcement of the combination of Nokia with Microsoft,, but i would like to say that Qt will not be ported to Windows Phone 7. One of the key benefits of joining an established ecosystem is that there is an established toolchain that everyone uses. All Windows Phone apps will run on all WP7 devices. Adding Qt to the mix would only cause fragmentation.
    There is no reason why Qt would necessarily cause fragmentation on WP7, if all Qt apps done for WP7 ran also on all WP7 models. Totally doable, if Microsoft just allowed it to happen. With Nokia they could easily pull this off. However, I don't think they will (they took the lesson from Apple and decided that making even a more closed ecosystem is in their best interests). Of course, Nokia's direct interest in spending money on Qt to enable competitors to use Qt also on their phones is of no interest to Nokia. It didn't worry about Qt on desktop Windows, Linux or Mac OSX, as those are not really Nokia's areas of business, and Qt helps (helped) there Nokia too by allowing them to make their Ovi Maps, Ovi Suite apps for other platforms than Windows, too (not that they've executed very well on that front so far). That's also why Nokia doesn't support Qt on Android, as it'd be easier to do than on WP7.

Remember this: Nokia is in the business of making and selling mobile phones (and accessories, and network equipment for network operators/carriers). No matter what they say in marketing messages, Nokia's online services exist primarily to sell more phones, and to keep service users (that wish to continue to use their services) buying more Nokia phones when they need a new one.

If Nokia's primary goal in services was to sell the services (and not phones), and get their services used by users of other platforms, they should have more agressively developed APIs, tools and applications for non-Nokia phones, too.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Necessitas? I went to check on the progress of the lighthouse Android port today and this is what you get now: http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/home/
    It looks like its ready to go, I could not find anything confirming if the Qt apps can be sold on the Google Marketplace but the Qt binaries are on there according to the page... Sounds promising!
    Cheers,
    Jon
    EDIT:
    Here is the tiles demo up on the marketplace!! I guess its good to go! YAY
    https://market.android.com/details?i....animatedtiles
    Last edited by Jon Heron; 2011-02-25 at 02:05.