Discussion Board

Nokia 6212 vs. 6131 and a question about UIDs

Hi all,

I am currently trying to decide which phone to get in order to create a prototype/proof of concept application for building access using NFC. The two main phones I have been looking at are the Nokia 6212 and 6131, but if anyone believes that a newer phone model may be better I would really appreciate suggestions!

So I have a couple of questions that I have been unable to confirm the answers of so far:

1) Am I able to set/change the UID when the Nokia 6212 is acting as a Mifare classic? I have read that the 6131 sometimes sets a random UID: http://mulliner.org/nfc/feed/collin_...nfc_phones.pdf but I have no idea about the 6212

2) The 6212 has a dedicated Secure Element (SE), whereas newer phones use the SIM and Single Wire Protocol (SWP). Are there any important advantages/disadvantages for either? I would assume that it is easier to load a custom application onto the 6212 as opposed to a SIM card on other phones? Bear in mind that I am merely making a proof of concept application so it does not need to be transferable between different phone models.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Nokia 6212 vs. 6131 and a question about UIDs

Regarding the second question. The advantage about having a dedicated secure element is that you can have your proof of concept running and still use a SIM card to make calls.
    May be you can get your hands on a SIM card on which you can develop but usually MNOs don't let anyone mess up with their SIM cards. You can also try to find a development SIM card which is not bound to any operator so you can load applications in it. But you're right on one thing: it's fairly easy to install applications on the 6212's secure element. However some new phones such as the Nexus S also have dedicated secure elements (see this link)

Re: Nokia 6212 vs. 6131 and a question about UIDs

Thank you very much!

I won't need the phone to make calls, but that is good to know.

I wasn't aware that the Nexus S had that and it's even more interesting to see that people have got card emulation working on it already. If there was official support for emulation then I would love to get the Nexus S, but for now it seems a bit risky based on my time frame.