Discussion Board

Java Verified Device Family Confusion

Hey All;

I have a question about Java Verified testing according to Supported devices. To learn the process I submitted my application to one of the test houses for the Series 40 -

Series 40 3rd Edition where leading device is Nokia 6131. The application passed the test and I got the signed application back from test house. I was expecting to see

signed status for the phone family where the leading device is 6131 normally and It is like it should be for that family.

I tried to install my signed application to other devices like S60 - S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 where leading device is N95. The application installed as signed with those

devices in that family even there are some problems with that device family and it is signed version for 6131 family.

If someone can clear my mind about this confusion, I will be really grateful. Because I was expecting the signed version for a family will not work as signed on others or totally not work at all.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Java Verified Device Family Confusion

Hi Reapertr,

As I remember We can run the jar in any phone . After the Java Verified . There no restrictions.

Super Contributor

With the signing, all devices that have the appropriate root certificate will accept the app as signed. There are not too many device model or family specific root certs in use, but rather only a couple per CA (Certificate Authority, such as Thawte, Verisign, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Reapertr View Post
    I was expecting the signed version for a family will not work as signed on others or totally not work at all.
    I share you confusion – since the year 2004. Perhaps there is some legal paper/statement not allowing this. I have not found that either, yet.

Ya .. When you are submitting to the java verified you need to specify for which device you wan to do the java verified client but after you receive the jad and jar . Now it is your choice to install on what so ever device