Discussion Board

Virtual Keypad Asterisk Stopped Working For QDoubleSpinBox

Hello,

I've run into an unusual problem with QDoubleSpinBox in my N8 app. The asterisk button in the virtual keypad doesn't insert a minus sign even though the spinbox has a negative minimum value and its inputMethodHints is ImhFormattedNumbersOnly. The weird thing about it is I remember it working before. Pressing the asterisk brought up a dialog/window/grid/menu of numeric symbols (-, +, et al.). Now it just burps the phone and nothing gets inserted. This occurs in the very first position of the number or when the field is empty. The other keys, including the pound (decimal point inserter), all work. What could have happened that prevents the minus sign or symbol menu from appearing under these circumstances?

Background information: I've tried the Qt SpinBoxes example program and the minus sign isn't working there either. I've experimented with the various input method hints and found that I can change the how the virtual keypad displays, but usually this results in displaying the alphanumeric keypad which is less than desireable and not how it's supposed to work. The minus (hyphen) appears on the keyboard in landscape mode. I'm able to insert the minus there, which indicates that the minus isn't getting filtered out due to improper or positive-only range specification.

Thanks

Phil
    Last edited by pgarofalo; 2011-02-22 at 16:10. Reason: Additional Information

Re: Virtual Keypad Asterisk Stopped Working For QDoubleSpinBox

Still seeing this problem. Is it possible that no one else has seen this? This is a significant problem because it prevents the user from using the app in profile, which is the typical and most comfortable use case. If anyone else has seen this problem and there is no solution at least it would be good to know because I could focus on a alternative, albeit less convenient, solution. Thanks for reading.

Super Contributor

I've avoided spin boxes, since they're such a poor fit to a phone platform.

Thanks. However, the problem is not in the spin box per se but in the underlying line edit control. I created a minimal test app with a single line edit control. I set the input method hints to ImhFormattedNumbersOnly, no input mask, and no validator function. No manual code added; entire app generated by Qt Creator and Designer. I installed it on my phone. I tapped the input line, the virtual numeric keypad displayed. Pressed the asterisk key and no numeric symbol menu.

The rub is that earlier it was working. I was getting the symbol menu from the asterisk key. Something broke or was added that's interfering with the virtual numeric keypad functionality. I reinstalled the TRK, QT, and Qt Mobiility on the phone, and even resintalled the N8's system software. No luck, problem still there.

I'm really hoping someone out there has encountered and dealt with this problem. My next option is to bypass Qt and use CEikEdwin.
    Last edited by pgarofalo; 2011-02-22 at 19:29.