Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Question Migration of FN users to WM Apphub and registration issues?

Hi,
    What is the strategy of Nokia for providing support to Nokia device specific WM developers?
    Are their plans to merge FN with the MS AppHub?
    Is their any plan to migrate the current users to MS AppHub without any fees?
    And will there be a separate signing entity within Nokia for WM apps?
    Also has someone subscribed with the AppHub paying the 99$ ?
    Last edited by mayur_24; 2011-02-17 at 02:22. Reason: Adding more questions.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Migration of FN users to WM Apphub and registration issues?

I think there is no decision about migration issues/support yet. Do not ask why I think that, and I will not have to lie.
    Merging probably will not happen - at least in the past there have always been similar sites of OS/platform vendors, and FN stayed to be FN.

Nokia Developer Champion

i completely agree with wizard and we should not forget that symbian will be there for a year and more , there are some new devices to come, so i think there is infact no need to merge or migrate.

Regards,

Super Contributor

I am clear about Symbian app development and signing. I want to know about WP app support.
    So when it comes to signing apps and putting them on ovi / ms marketplace, who calls the shots? Nokia or MS?
    Will there be separate support for Nokia WP app signing?

Super Contributor

Nobody knows until Nokia and Microsoft agree on the details, and decide to publish them.

If I were to speculate (and I am going to), I would say that Microsoft will most likely not allow any Nokia-specific apps in the Microsoft Marketplace, but all Windows Phone 7 apps published there for free or for sale, are for any Windows Phone 7 model regardless of the manufacturer (especially from the commercial apps, Microsoft will always want their cut, and the broader the device support, the better for Microsoft).

I would also guesstimate, that Ovi Store will stay around, and see some improvements, but will remain for Nokia's Series 40 and Symbian based phones, for as long as Nokia keeps making them, and that for Nokia's future Windows Phone 7 models, there's not going to be any Ovi Store (those phones go to the Microsoft Marketplace).

Ovi Store might get to use Microsoft advertisement system and APIs also for Series 40 and Symbian based phones.

Once Symbian really disappears, and Nokia is left with Series 40, then Ovi Store will either stick around, or they've managed to convince Microsoft to allow the Microsoft Marketplace also to serve content for Nokia's Series 40 phones. If it ever gets to that, it'll be probably not earlier than 2 years from now.

But, as I said, there are no answers yet, because Nokia and Microsoft have abviously not managed to hammer out the details of their agreement (if they had, they would've published the info already; especially after last Friday's disastrous effects on Nokia's stock price, I'm sure Nokia will get details out as soon as they have them locked down, in order to get investors to trust them again).