Discussion Board

Smile NFC and GPS enabled phone

Dear all

I want to develop a j2me application in which i want to read rfid tag and also need to know the location of phone. I have searched many blogs and articles and then finally i come to know its possible. Please correct me if i am wrong. For reading RFID tag i required NFC handset(6131) and for location i can done in following ways :-
    1. By using LBS (jsr 179) enabled phone.
    Note : Is mobile handset should have GPS chip (GPS ENABLED) in it or any non-GPS phone having JSR-179 enabled can use for this ?
    If GPS device require in LBS, then for Non-GPS handset we can use any bluetooth GPS device ?

2. using cell id , in which i thing we require operator service or it will be operator independent ?
    if i gets the cell id than how i will get the location ?
    As far as i know about cell id, its unique id given by operator on any GSM or CDMA netwotk .

Is there any handset available by nokia in which both NFC and GPS is available ?
    otherwise we need to buy two mobile phone which is useless for this app. or In NFC phone we can connect any bluetooth GPS device.
    I got stuck in this.
    Kindly help me out from this.
    Last edited by prem.sharma; 2011-02-17 at 10:45.

Super Contributor

Re: NFC and GPS enabled phone

Without a GPS, if the network operator supports it, network based positioning is possible, but not very accurate.

Without both, with just the cell ID, you would need to have a database of cell IDs and their locations (still not very accurate, as you could be 1 meter or 10 kilometers from the cell and still be connected to it). It is also difficult to get a comprehensive, accurate cell ID database. For something, see, e.g., http://www.opencellid.org/

OK without LBS we can do the location tracking using cell ID or some sort of Mobile operator service ( but will not be perfectly accurate) ?
    Which phone supports the CELLID property ? i think in this as well we need mobile operator service or i can get cellid of any phone.
    If i go for 6131 NFC , than in this phone can i get the location ?

Super Contributor

Your problem with Series 40 based phones and Java is that there is a cellid property, but your Java app cannot get it, unless your app is signed by Nokia (which they won't), or the network operator (which is difficult, and you need to get it done for every single operator separately).

The property is described here:
    http://library.forum.nokia.com/index...B925CF670.html

So, if you need the location on a Series 40 based phone, use one with GPS, or with an external Bluetooth GPS receiver (if the phone model you wish to use doesn't have a built-in GPS receiver).

Your best bet is probably the Nokia C7-00 model ( https://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/...cations/C7-00/ ), and wait until it gets a firmware update that enables the use of the NFC radio in it, assuming that it is true that the C7-00 really has NFC support, but it just isn't available for use yet due to the software not being ready:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=nfc+C...fe=images&tbs=