Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Resource file- working when retrieving data from .txt, NOT working when saving to it

Hello,

I've added a resource file(.txt) on my project and accessing it to retrieve the contents works fine. However, if I try to delete contents or add another line, it doesn't take effect. Is the path different when reading compare to writing to the same file?

If I test it on the simulator, neither works, so I explicitly set the complete filepath for both functions, then reading and writing from and to the file works. But when it comes to testing it with the device(Nokia N8), retrieveAchievementsFromFile() works, and the other doesn't. Below is my exact code. Can anyone check what am I doing wrong here?

QStringList FileManager::retrieveAchievementsFromFile()
    {
    QStringList ListLines;

//Open file
    QFile file(":/files/achievements.txt");
    if( file.open(QIODevice::ReadOnly | QIODevice::Text) )
    {
    QTextStream in(&file);
    QString line;
    while(!in.atEnd())
    {
    line = in.readLine();
    ListLines.append(line);
    }

//Close file
    file.close();
    }
    return ListLines;
    }

void FileManager::saveAchievementToFile(QString achievementRecord)
    {
    QFile file(":/files/achievements.txt");
    if( file.open( QIODevice::ReadWrite | QIODevice::Text) )
    {
    QTextStream writeData(&file);
    writeData << achievementRecord << endl;
    file.close();
    }

}

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Resource file- working when retrieving data from .txt, NOT working when saving to

first thing afaik editing of the file will not work with qrc resource files, second giving a complete path in desktop is is a wrong approach the reason its nor working is the file might not be at that path from where you are opening that.

The best thing should first transfer the file inside the phone to some directory and then do the required things there.

Super Contributor

Re: Resource file- working when retrieving data from .txt, NOT working when saving to

Resource files are read-only.

Regular Contributor

I only set it to a complete path when i was testing it on the simulator. Of course, I wouldn't include it on the final program. I just want to test if my process of writing to and from a txt file works. But it seems it doesn't with a qrc file.

So, I should NOT use a qrc file if I were to edit it? I didn't expect qrc files are uneditable. Oh well, if that's the case, where do you think I should point the files when deployed to the device(i mean safest path)?
    Last edited by vilmavaliente; 2011-02-19 at 16:44.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Use QCoreApplication::applicationDirPath ()
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

If you considered at all how it worked, you'd realize that a qrc file is compiled into a qrc_xxx.cpp file which is just a bunch of C++ static declarations that get compiled into your object module.

Regular Contributor

@Itomuta, thanks, I will use that.

@danhicksbyron, thanks for elaborating.

This is out of this thread, you may or may not answer this - since Nokia is shifting to Windows Phone OS, what will happen to Qt? Will Nokia totally ditch all their Symbian phones or still maintain(development will still exist, bugs will be fix etc) existing models?

Super Contributor

You want the official line, or what everyone believes is actually going to happen? There are threads on both topics in Developer Discussions/Open Discussions.
    Last edited by danhicksbyron; 2011-02-20 at 13:25.