Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular Contributor

Re: No future for Flash Lite?

I still can't understand why Nokia wants to go along with windows mobile. Qt and QML and flashlite would have made a killer combination. QML has gained so much exposure and is all set to be the easiest snazzy UI builder ever. I have no idea what got into CEO's head.
    Blog: http://nmamobiles.byethost2.com/blog

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rajan.mba View Post
    I still can't understand why Nokia wants to go along with windows mobile. Qt and QML and flashlite would have made a killer combination. QML has gained so much exposure and is all set to be the easiest snazzy UI builder ever. I have no idea what got into CEO's head.
    1. CEO Stephen Elop does not come from the mobile industry (neither has he worked for phone manufacturers nor for a mobile operator/carrier; he has 1 year of experience at a network equipment - router - manufacturer)
    2. He does come from the PC industry (about 1 year at Adobe after the Macromedia acquisition, close to 8 years at Macromedia, and close to 3 years at Microsoft)
    3. He also has 6 years of experience in the food industry (Boston Chicken)
    4. He comes to Nokia from Microsoft (2 years and 9 months there, before joining Nokia)

Of course, it might be a good thing not to be hindered by any experience at other phone manufacturers or operators/carriers, but sometimes they are the weirdest of companies in their logic. ;-)

In any case, the PC-industry and Microsoft experience may have had something to do in determining that dropping the currently biggest (by installed base, but tapering off) smartphone platform (Symbian) in favour of the smallest and newest of them (Windows Phone 7, only 4 months on the market so far, with less than spectacular success trend) was the best approach, rather than doing something else (keep going full-speed with Symbian, or full-focus on MeeGo, or going with Android, or negotiating something with RIM or HP/webOS).

Source: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephen-elop/1/3a0/b31

Regular Contributor

It's regarding the support of Adobe Air on mobile devices.

Petrib, what I said about Air support is obviously my assumption, just analyzing the past facts and developments.
    1. Even though Flash is not supported on iPhone, Adobe Air comes with a packager which can compile Flash applications in native iPhone app. Previously these compiled apps were not supported on Apple App store but now these apps are supported and there are many Flash Air based apps in Apple store. Apple aggress.(Never mind it is the result of some other developments in Apple App store clauses for third party apps)
    2. Adobe had halted the development of this packager previously but now they have again started the development of this packager to support all Adobe Air features, including native features(I cannot mention about the features due to confidentiality of Prerelease program).
    3. As mentioned before, Adobe Air is supported on desktop, Andorid2.2 based mobile devices, now IOS. Adobe is also working with RIM and Palm.
    4. Same Adobe Air is supported on all tablets based on Android 2.2(Samsung Galaxy) and even Blackberry tablet, Playbook. Playbook currently supports only two development environments and Adobe Air is one of them.
    5. Given all this fact and Adobe Air penetration in future and also the developer base of Flash, developers would prefer to develop once and deploy anywhere. This would add many apps in all these app stores. Considering this scenario, just image if the same app is not available on WP7 devices? The development time and ease of use, in addition to current native feature support would enable creating stunning apps with Adobe Air.
    6. Also, if Nokia’s decision to go with Microsoft OS would result is loss of its own development frameworks like WRT and so, why should not Microsoft comprise with its strategy for platform support. The decision to use WP7 in Nokia devices, is beneficial for both Nokia and Microsoft and Nokia may ask to Microsoft to think about its strategy. So now it’s not only Adobe but also Nokia, which may force/convince to use Flash on WP7. Also Microsoft is very well aware of Silver-lights capabilities as compared to current Flash. And they even had supported FlashLite in earlier mobile phones.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I have seen forums and other posts with mention FlashLite 3 support on Windows 5/6. 'Helisso' converts swf to cab for Windows Mobile 5/6, but the tool goes to an infinite loading on conversion. Can anyone suggest/recommend a suitable packager for swf to cab for WM7 for Nokia? Also, is there any emulator on which the cab installation can be checked?
    Regards,
    Supriya Tenany

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by supriyaakg View Post
    Hi,

I have seen forums and other posts with mention FlashLite 3 support on Windows 5/6. 'Helisso' converts swf to cab for Windows Mobile 5/6, but the tool goes to an infinite loading on conversion. Can anyone suggest/recommend a suitable packager for swf to cab for WM7 for Nokia? Also, is there any emulator on which the cab installation can be checked?
    AFAIK, it shouldn't be possible to do with Windows Phone 7; with WP7 Microsoft changed things significantly, and no longer allows anything except managed code (Silverlight, C#/VB), and as far as I understand, there no compatbility with Windows Mobile 5/6.* binaries.