Discussion Board

Question QtQuick/QML or Native

I am just beginning in my QT development journey - i actually hoped to bing some months back but various life changes got in the way. So to date i have done one Native tutorial and one QTQuick tutorial which i couldn't run because i couldn't find QML viewer (I have read that it's not always installed with the windows version). I'm looking forward to doing some WP development eventually too and am a WPF developer professionally. But I still want to see what i can do with QT first.

So basically, am i best starting off with QtQuick (which I'm reading is better for UI design but the Symbian and Maemo simulators won't run) or native QT development.

Also, i remember thinking QT had a XAML/XML like language for describing UI features - what is this called.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: QtQuick/QML or Native

Quote Originally Posted by bluechrism View Post
    I am just beginning in my QT development journey - i actually hoped to bing some months back but various life changes got in the way. So to date i have done one Native tutorial and one QTQuick tutorial which i couldn't run because i couldn't find QML viewer (I have read that it's not always installed with the windows version). I'm looking forward to doing some WP development eventually too and am a WPF developer professionally. But I still want to see what i can do with QT first.
    As said in your other thread, QMLViewer is not needed, although it does seem to be broken.

So basically, am i best starting off with QtQuick (which I'm reading is better for UI design but the Symbian and Maemo simulators won't run) or native QT development
    The info you read must be old. You can run Qt Quick apps on the Qt Simulator and on devices too (after installing Qt 4.7.x that is).

Also, i remember thinking QT had a XAML/XML like language for describing UI features - what is this called.
    QML is the declarative UI language of Qt. Similar to XAML but better
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite