Discussion Board

Unhappy Impossible Non-Compete Requirement

I have a dilemma preventing my app from being published to the ovi store I'm hoping someone here can help me solve:

I made this rhythm game I wanted to make available on the Nokia platform. As part of the agreement with the publisher for letting me use the songs in the game, I need to at least attribute their source and link back to the song's website in the about page for the app. When I submitted to OVI, I got the following response:

REQUIREMENT: According to the Ovi Store publisher registration and distribution agreement: “5.4. Non-Compete – You may not use the Program to distribute or make available any Content whose primary purpose is to facilitate the distribution of Content outside of the Program.”
    ACTUAL RESULT: The user is sent to "http://www.latinpulsemusic.com/" after selecting an artist in the About menu. The website allows the user to download the artist albums/songs.
    EXPECTED RESULT: Promotion of external storefronts and websites with competing products are not allowed. Links to download the same content or other related content should be linked to the Ovi Store instead of the publisher’s own website or other distribution channels. (public, Moderation in progress -> Qa failed)

The trouble is, I am not the publisher, so I can't put the music in the OVI store. I tried to convince the publisher to put his music there himself, but, among other arguments, he pointed out that his sales are focused on North America, and the OVI Music store isn't even available in North America. How can Nokia be _requiring_ apps to promote the OVI Music store, when they themselves haven't even made it available in the US? So, now I'm kind of stuck. Is there any way I can still get this game through QA??

Re: Impossible Non-Compete Requirement

Quote Originally Posted by rpurushotma View Post
    I have a dilemma preventing my app from being published to the ovi store I'm hoping someone here can help me solve:

I made this rhythm game I wanted to make available on the Nokia platform. As part of the agreement with the publisher for letting me use the songs in the game, I need to at least attribute their source and link back to the song's website in the about page for the app. When I submitted to OVI, I got the following response:

REQUIREMENT: According to the Ovi Store publisher registration and distribution agreement: “5.4. Non-Compete – You may not use the Program to distribute or make available any Content whose primary purpose is to facilitate the distribution of Content outside of the Program.”
    ACTUAL RESULT: The user is sent to "http://www.latinpulsemusic.com/" after selecting an artist in the About menu. The website allows the user to download the artist albums/songs.
    EXPECTED RESULT: Promotion of external storefronts and websites with competing products are not allowed. Links to download the same content or other related content should be linked to the Ovi Store instead of the publisher’s own website or other distribution channels. (public, Moderation in progress -> Qa failed)

The trouble is, I am not the publisher, so I can't put the music in the OVI store. I tried to convince the publisher to put his music there himself, but, among other arguments, he pointed out that his sales are focused on North America, and the OVI Music store isn't even available in North America. How can Nokia be _requiring_ apps to promote the OVI Music store, when they themselves haven't even made it available in the US? So, now I'm kind of stuck. Is there any way I can still get this game through QA??
    I suggest that you simply write an email to Ovi Publisher Support and explain this to them. I've found out they can be pretty reasonable.

Cheers
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Oh, cool, good to hear you had a positive experience with them. Reading some of the other posts in this forum I guess I just kinda assumed that would be a nightmare, but good to hear people have positive experiences too. I wrote to them, so I guess we'll see what comes *crosses fingers*

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rpurushotma View Post
    Oh, cool, good to hear you had a positive experience with them. Reading some of the other posts in this forum I guess I just kinda assumed that would be a nightmare, but good to hear people have positive experiences too. I wrote to them, so I guess we'll see what comes *crosses fingers*
    OviKevin is especially smart. Just a recommendation...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Cool! -- I got the following response from OviAndrew:

"I am happy to inform you that we have reviewed your email and understand this predicament you have encountered during the QA review. We have approached the content team on this issue and they have agreed to grant a waiver for this issue"

=)