Discussion Board

MP3 sound quality

Hi! I'm new in Flash Lite development for Symbian, and I searched for help on my problem in the forum, with no results.

Well...I'm developing my first application in Flash Lite 4. I incorporated a sound (a song) to use as a background music into the movie, importing it inside Flash and putting it into the timeline. Both in the library and Flash Export settings window, I set MP3 quality to 44100 khz, 16 bit and 128 in bit rate. So it should sound great.

When I test the movie or run it in the projector on my PC, it really sounds as expected, with great quality,

But, when I build and package my project in Carbide, install and test it on my phone (an N8), the sound quality degrades terribly. It sounds much worse than a regular Mp3 of the same bit rate in the Music Player. Tested the sound with earphones, and it sounded like it had its bitrate degraded (maybe down to 64).

If it played so well on my PC, why was the sound degraded when packaged into the .sys file? Any ideas? Where should I fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Vinícius

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: MP3 sound quality

Hi ViniciusSasso,
    Welcome to the Forum Nokia Flash Lite DiBo ! . I suggest you to try 2 things :
    1- Goto Library->Your Soud.mp3->properties->Check mark on Use imported MP3 Quality .
    2- Goto publish settings and remove the check mark from override sound settings.
    because improper settings may cause encoding of the MP3 in a degraded bitrate.

Best Regards,
    Sajid Ali Anjum

Thank you very much, Sajid! Unfortunately, there's no "Use Imported MP3 Quality" option in the sound properties window of the sound clip in my Flash CS5. So, I couldn't try this option.

In "Flash Publish Settings Window", I could try removing the check mark from "Override Sound Settings". I then tried the new file in ny phone, but the situation remained the same. :-(

May there be another option or possibility I could try? Any arcticle about this? I've seen some Flash sound documentation in this site, it explains everything except how to make a sound with maximum (or great) quality. It can't be possible that such a popular games plataform in a well documented O.S. couldn't support something so apparently simple.

Best regards,
    Vinícius

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi ViniciusSasso,
    I did some tests and find out that Yes! it is very much true. I think that Flash Lite may optimize the audio itself to play it in parallel to scene graphics. However, it is somewhat known issue :
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/547348
    Dont know any workaround yet but i must say that i didnt noticed it very much in playing a large number of flash games. So, you can avoid that much of degrading.

BTW, i want to add one more thing from my experience i.e if you are thinking to add event sounds and a background sound during a gameplay in Flash Lite then get ready to face delay in playing a sound and low frame-rate.

Best Regards,
    Sajid Ali Anjum

Hey?

Since you are looking to play background music which will not synch with user actions, how about you just stream the MP3 from a server. This way you control the quality and save on SWF memory footprint. Try HTTP streaming as it's easier and faster to implement. If you wanna try this solution, I can help you with some code snippets.

One