Discussion Board

Question Nokia and MSFT Agreement and Qt for Mobile Devices

Hi

Can any one care to explain to me what will be he future of Qt for mobile development. Will developers have to port their applications to Windows 7 format.

Currently I am developing an application which 60% done - should I continue with development or not

Thanks in advance
    My Website: The Cheap Passes (dot) com

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia and MSFT Agreement and Qt for Mobile Devices

It's pretty certain that Qt will not be ported to the Windows environment. There will be Symbian/Qt phones and Windows phones, and never the twain shall meet. And no new Symbian/Qt models will be produced, beyond those already announced.

The big question is how long the Symbian/Qt phones will be around, and what kind of market there will be for apps for them. It'll take a year or two for Nokia to come out with their first Windows phone, so the market is supposedly "good" until then, but there will undoubtedly be some falloff in purchases of Symbian/Qt phones, and fewer people "investing" in apps for them.

Super Contributor

In case you are able to finish your application in 6 month, it's worth to be finished and published in Ovi Store. Symbian and the most likely MeeGo on Nokia devices won't exist in 3 years. Android, iOS and RIM, Windows Phone 7 do not support Qt officially. What you have as a last resort is MeeGo on Intel devices, which will support Qt apparently, but these are mostly tablet PCs with small market share currently.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin1770 View Post
    Hi

Can any one care to explain to me what will be he future of Qt for mobile development. Will developers have to port their applications to Windows 7 format.

Currently I am developing an application which 60% done - should I continue with development or not

Thanks in advance
    Even Microsoft says you should do Qt apps. There are 75 million Qt enabled devices now and 150 million more planned. Bottom line is if have a great app you are doing to be successful.

Ron

Yeah i would say keep going, especially if you are 60% of the way through already, the symbian devices aren't going away for at least a while yet and theres also that one MeeGo device that we'll get this year.