Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

2 exe in one QT package

Hi guys

I have main Qt app with the gui, but I want to implement an extra background process (alarm service), which will be installed together with my gui app. Alarm service can be started by gui app and run in background independently of if gui is running or not.
    How to achive this in qt?
    - what type of Qt project have I choose for backend service? Qt Console Application?
    - how to add final-made backend exe to my Gui app sis file? What should I write to pro file of gui project in order to append backend exe automatically to sis when I do release build for gui app? How to set UID for backend exe in this case?
    - Are there any restrictions or extra things I should aware of for submitting this kind of projects (with two qt exe files in one) to Ovi QA?

Super Contributor

Re: 2 exe in one QT package

We have done this by embedding a second sis in the main app's sis. If you're using Smart Installer you then embed the main sis in the SI sis -- you can't embed both main and the second sis directly in the SI sis.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by developer 123 View Post
    Hi guys

I have main Qt app with the gui, but I want to implement an extra background process (alarm service), which will be installed together with my gui app. Alarm service can be started by gui app and run in background independently of if gui is running or not.
    How to achive this in qt?
    - what type of Qt project have I choose for backend service? Qt Console Application?
    A "console" application would be good enough I guess. But for small, robust and highly efficient daemons I would go for Symbian C++ implementations.
    - how to add final-made backend exe to my Gui app sis file? What should I write to pro file of gui project in order to append backend exe automatically to sis when I do release build for gui app? How to set UID for backend exe in this case?
    The simple way to do it is to use a DEPLOYMENT.pkg_postrules statement. As for the UID ... set it where? Why? You set the UID3 in daemon's own *.pro file, so that it gets built with it. That's all.
    - Are there any restrictions or extra things I should aware of for submitting this kind of projects (with two qt exe files in one) to Ovi QA?
    Your only concern should be that your application satisfies the Symbian Signed test criteria, which is mandatory for Ovi submissions as well. Other than that, there's nothing special about your application really.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    We have done this by embedding a second sis in the main app's sis. If you're using Smart Installer you then embed the main sis in the SI sis -- you can't embed both main and the second sis directly in the SI sis.
    Not a bad solution, but it does require extra testing and indeed extra caution if using Ovi Publishing's free signing, as the team there would have to be warned to look for a SIS inside the SIS and sign that one too. If the signing is done by you through Symbian Signed it would also generate extra costs.

I would only recommend the solution if the component is meant to have a separate life from the current application, e.g. as a shared component which will be deployed with other applications, or which is expected to be updateable independently.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Yes, we used Symbian Signed -- Ovi free signing would not work.

Hello,

Please send me example of embedding sis in the main app's sis.my Email id is galokmca@gmail.com
    Last edited by alokitmmca; 2013-03-19 at 09:30. Reason: ChangeEmail

Hello,

How to marge two exe file into one . Please send to Dummy app in this mail id - galokmca@gmail.com,Pls Help me

Hi alokitmmca,

the beauty of a discussion board such as this one is that answers can be posted right here, on the spot, and you don't have to make your email address public. You should also start a new thread for each new topic, your question has nothing to do with "2 exe in one QT package".

To embed a SIS file (A.sis) in another SIS (B.SIS) you will have to make sure that B.pkg contains the following line (somewhere at the end of the file for example).

Code:
    @"A.sis", (0xE???????)
    where 0xE??????? is the "package UID" value from A.pkg's header.

Now, how would a line of code like this end-up in B.pkg? There are two options:
    - edit a copy of B.pkg so that you add this line of code and then generate the B.sis file manually, using this modified PKG script. You can learn about PKG file format from http://www.symlab.org/mirror/develop...E38CDEB69.html
    - use Qt's qmake scripting (i.e. code in the *.pro file) so that when qmake is executed on your project it generates the B.pkg file with the line in it already.

The 2nd approach is recommended and can be easily done using pkg_postrules:

Code:
    symbian {
    embedded_sis_file.pkg_postrules = "@\"A.sis\",(0xE???????)"
    DEPLOYMENT += embedded_sis_file
    }
    -- Lucian